Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to reformat vista

• Please log in to reply

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
While trying to reformat I got this error.

Install Windows:
Windows cannot open the required file E:/Sources/Install.wim.
Make sure all files required for installation re available, and
restart the installation. Error Code. 0x800700D

Anyone know why this happening or what I can do next?
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
What disc are you using?

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
It came with the computer. Its a Gateway Operating System Disc. Microsoft windows vista home premium 32 bit.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Check make sure it is the right disc with the required files on it and that the disc is clean and free from fingerprints etc.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
yes,it is the cd that came with the computer. Is there anything I can try?

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Is your CD\DVD drive the E: drive? Make certain that your CD/DVD is set in the BIOS to be the 1st boot device and try the install again. If you get this error again your installation media may be corrupt. If this is the case you will need to contact your OEM and obtain copy of Vista media.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I dont' remember how to change that in the bios but ill go check and try to figure it out

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Yep, made sure it was correct, and still got the same error. This is the right disc so I dont understand the issue here.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I just put in a windows vista upgrade
And when I started the computer I got

Press any key to boot from CD or DVD
BOOTMGR is missing
Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart

This is something different.

Jordi Ruiz

Jordi Ruiz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
It seems that the CD/DVD is broken. You can try to make a copy of the disk and install Windows from the copy.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Basically when booting from CD you will need to press a key within a certain period of time to tell the computer that you do in fact want to boot from CD. If you don't press a key then the computer will move onto the next boot device which will probably be your hard drive. The message that is now appearing tells you that your computer looked for a bootmanager but could not find one on the boot device and so it could not progress further. This means you do not have an OS installed on the device. Now to reinstall Vista you will need the correct disc that contains the OS files. The install.wim file you are talking about is basically the file needed to install the OS. Now, I'm not sure how far into the installation you are getting or how the message appears so I can't help there. To reinstall vista you should place the correct disc into your DVD drive and boot to the disc by pressing a key on the keyboard. The following link explains the process: http://windows.micro...g-Windows-Vista
Now you only need to boot to the disc the first time to access the install after that you will need to change your bios back to booting from the hard drive. The following link explains changing the boot order: http://helpdeskgeek....order-xp-vista/

If you are following all these procedures and still cannot install vista post back exactly where in the process the operation fails - Does it start to install? Also, ensure the disc is in the correct cd/dvd drive and that the drive is able to read discs ok.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Sorry I was away. I will try this tomrrow and get back to you with a response. It gets about 75% loaded when I get the message.