Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No connectivity to one Wi-Fi network

• Please log in to reply

flashlightface

flashlightface

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I'm brand new to this forum but I've been on a RV forum for years. I've helped people out before, but now it's my time with a Question.

I have a 12" Dell 710m, running XP and have a connectivity problem with only one network. Unfortunately, this is the only one available for the past 5 months (every summer).

The network is a secure one requiring a security code. I also am a campground host that gives the required password for access to many folks during this past summer. No problems with everyone else using it and I would know immediately because we charge a daily fee for it's use. I have taken my computer in to a repair service and he said there is nothing wrong with either the built in 802.11, or the Verizon 175, USB plug-in air card I also have. He said "no charge" because there is nothing wrong with it. Both wireless systems act the same on this one network.

I have been using the Verizon air card all summer- no problems. I'm using it now.

I also have an Orinoco classic gold card for the PCMCIA port on the computer. I can plug in a cantenna and receive a bar four signal strength.

All that I get is "limited or no connectivity" or "make sure your network adapter is properly installed". My "Packet" signal sez "sent thousands (I've seen 12,000) of packets" but the "received" says 0 (zero)!

Now, I've used this same computer on this same network for two years before this with out a problem. I added the cantenna to receive a stronger signal.

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Thank's,
Max H

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Is the network using any kind of mac filtering - maybe your not allowed to connect??

flashlightface

flashlightface

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply-

I'll check for mac filters. Unfortunately the lad that set the network up is gone. No one else is complaining about connectivity. We must have 5 guests using it right now.

Max H

flashlightface

flashlightface

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The man sez "No Filters" no the system- :)

Max H

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Ok, thanks for that. Now to help you I need to understand the problem more. In your initial post you talked about three different network adapters. From what I gather you are using a Verizon air card to connect to the internet at the moment but would like to use the computers built-in wifi to connect to a different network? You say you used to be able to connect but cannot any more - has anything changed since you were last able to connect either with your laptop or the network your trying to connect to - any new hardware? network security changes? etc. Also, please do the following when trying to connect to the network you wish to connect ie when you have the error messages:

Go to start -> type cmd in the search box at the bottom (or click 'run' then type cmd if using win. XP) -> hit enter ->type ipconfig /all -> right click and click select all -> hit enter (the screen is copied) -> paste the results back in a new post.

Thanks.

Edited by hendaz, 14 September 2010 - 02:35 PM.

flashlightface

flashlightface

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hendaz-

Thanks for your help.

I couldn't even get a signal today from the suspect network. I'll be leaving this location soon and I'll try it in a different location.

If I have any more problems, I'll re-visit this thread and get back with you-

Cheers,
Max H

Edited by flashlightface, 15 September 2010 - 03:56 PM.