Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Endless Vista Startup Repair

• Please log in to reply

Rose724

Rose724

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried to do a system restore yesterday evening because my system seemed slow. In the middle of the restore, while the computer was restarting the power went out, so I'm assuming the restore didn't complete. At about 10 last night I tried to start it, there were 2 options immediately- "startup repair (recommended)" and "start windows normally"- I can't recall the exact wording. I started the system repair. There has been a window saying "your computer was unable to start Startup Repair is checking the system for problems..." and that it's "attempting repairs" for over 12 hours. When I try to cancel it says "the current repair operation cannot be cancelled". Is it still working? Should I cut the power and try to restart? How long can a startup repair go on? Is it normal for it to take this long?

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Rose724,

Anytime an interruption such as this occurs, there is risk in registry corruption. Have you tried to boot into safe mode by tapping the F8 key continually till the Advanced Options Screen appears and choosing Last known good configuration?

Do you have any Operating System or Recovery Disks available? Also, please include Make and Model of your computer. There may be a recovery partition that can be accessed.

Other members may advise as well.

Donna :)