Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing hardware

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Well for AMD boards there are two latch..things that lock on to the plastic thing on the board for the cooler to mount on to. Only thing is there's only one little plastic thing on each side and it's impossible to get them to stay in place

I would ask Newegg if you can return it then and if they decline let them know you will be sending it back to the manufacturer, this may make them a bit more willing to help as it would look bad for customer services.
You never know Newegg may be helpful but I'm concerned about their quote regarding Combo deals compatibility,

Newegg.com cannot guarantee the compatibility of Combo items. Please contact the manufacturer(s) directly if you have issues or concerns regarding compatibility.

And below is the compatibly list provided;
Compatibility Intel CPU LGA 1366 / LGA 1156 / LGA 775

AMD CPU Socket AM3 / AM2+ / AM2 / 939 / 754

(Up to 130 Watts)

Advertisements

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I dont mind really it seems like it works well. When I upgrade my motherboard it should become compatible, so I'll just keep it stored away for now.

Any insight on future mobo purchases?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
http://www.hardwarec...ard-review.html
Pros: USB 3.0 Cons: Has no onboard video
http://www.hardwarec...ard-review.html
Pros: Has onboard video Cons: Only has USB 2.0 support

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Well I shouldn't need onboard GFX with this brand new GPU, right?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
It is important to some people for a MB to have onboard video in case further down the line they have issues with their add on video cards, I was one of those people but now I simply keep a couple of spare cards, one pci and one pci-e.
I personally would go for the GIGABYTE 870A-UD3 AM3 but I wanted to make sure you were aware of both, after work I will see if I can find a similar board from another manufacturer that has both, but this would obviously come at an extra cost.