Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gagp30kx.sys problem!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello gtg!

I have had troubles with my old PC lately, I re-formatted the internal drive, but when I installed a new Windows XP (SP3) version on the PC, it simply wouldn't load onces installed!

It just freezes on the logo loading screen, if i boot in safe mode it will stop at gagp30kx.sys (I can press enter to load another .sys file, but when I do, my screen goes black a few seconds after).

I have tried installing with two different CDs, Linux Server & Linux Desktop OS - no help :)

Do you guys have any ideas?

Thank you
-Seb

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
gagp30kx.sys
That file is a chipset driver for the integrated graphics on the motherboard.

The problem is caused by the formatting of the drive and you have therefore lost your original motherboard drivers.
TRY THIS FIRST F8 for advanced boot and VGA mode http://www.colby-saw.../image_7112.gif
If that does not work try this:- Recovery Console and "chkdsk /p"

If that does not work enter Recovery Console and try this at the C:\windows prompt. ie:
c:\windows>
type
cd system32
<enter>

cd drivers
<enter>

rename gagp30kx.sys gagp30kx.bak
<enter>

EXIT
<enter>

windows should reboot. If that does not work do this:
If you have the original CD for the motherboard load the chipset drivers to the formatted hard drive.
If you do not post the motherboard details
Then install XP.
See this
http://www.bleepingc...x.sys-7409.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 September 2010 - 11:05 AM.

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I can't start the recovery manager from my CD (jumps straight for partition choosing) - is there a work around?
I tried to run the Gigabyte download center application, but it doesn't work with Opera and I can't install or use a portable version of EI 6 (I am using http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd to boot with a mini-windows).
Can you help me find the updates/drivers I need?

Property ---- Value
Manufacturer ---- Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model ---- K8M800-8237
Version
Serial Number

North Bridge ---- VIA K8M400 (VT8380) Revision 00
South Bridge ---- VIA VT8237 Revision 00

CPU ---- AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 2800+
Cpu Socket ---- Socket 754

System Slots ---- 3 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity ---- 1024 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size ---- 1024 MBytes
Memory Slots ---- 2
Error Correction ---- None

Warning! ---- Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Firstly I CANNOT enter into any discussion on this Forum regarding the use of Hirens. It contains unlicensed software and its USE and recommendations is NOT allowed on this site. We do NOT support the use of any unlicensed software.

Recovery Manager from my CD.
Do you mean Recovery Console from the XP CD.
That is NOT the Recovery CD from an OEM computer.
See this
http://pcsupport.abo.../rconsole_6.htm

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 September 2010 - 12:31 PM.

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I meant that I do not get to choose any Recovery manager option when I put my windows CD in the drive

Edited by Sebz4n, 13 September 2010 - 12:32 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Insert the CD if the boot priority is CD first, then it should boot from that.
If the boot priority is not CD first then you should see "press any key to boot from CD"
Please do this and then report exactly what message is on the screen.
See the link I sent please for the further steps to press R for Recovery Console

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 September 2010 - 12:46 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy sebz4n:

Did the cd you are trying to use come with that particular computer or a different one?

Murray

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Howdy sebz4n:

Did the cd you are trying to use come with that particular computer or a different one?

Murray

I only have an OEM disk, which I managed to install on my laptop (due to vista [bleep] errors), how I installed it on two computers (on the same LAN) is an unsolved mystery.
When I needed the disk for my server PC I came up short on licenses all of a suddent, so I got my friends SP3 disk, so I am not using the original one

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Howdy sebz4n:

Murray

I only have an OEM disk, which I managed to install on my laptop (due to vista [bleep] errors), how I installed it on two computers (on the same LAN) is an unsolved mystery.
When I needed the disk for my server PC I came up short on licenses all of a suddent, so I got my friends SP3 disk, so I am not using the original one

Well, first of all, the fact that you installed an OEM on two separate systems is illegal and against Microsofts OEM EULA, and due to the fact you are trying to use a cd (your friends)which is already in use and NOT for that system which is also against the EULA thus constituing illegal software, I am afraid you are now on your own.

Suggest you get your own legal install cd (Microsoft retail) and give that a go.

Murray

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Howdy sebz4n:

Murray

Well, first of all, the fact that you installed an OEM on two separate systems is illegal and against Microsofts OEM EULA, and due to the fact you are trying to use a cd (your friends)which is already in use and NOT for that system which is also against the EULA thus constituing illegal software, I am afraid you are now on your own.

Suggest you get your own legal install cd (Microsoft retail) and give that a go.

Murray

My friends switched to Win7 so his CD is not in use (is that still illegal?) and I wasn't aware that using the software on both my PC's was illegal.
Is there no way to resolve this using Linux or a boot disk/recovery disk?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I suggest you wait for another viewpoint from Murray S.
BUT the use of the friends XP SP3 CD would be OK with your product key and OEM license on the base of the laptop on the COA sticker, IF YOU HAD not already installed that on another machine.
The use of his CD, if it is with his LICENCE is not legal and I can help you no further, as I suspect this attempted installation may be a breach of the Microsoft conditions of use.
This site as I told you about the HIrens does not support such activity

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 September 2010 - 01:12 PM.

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Insert the CD if the boot priority is CD first, then it should boot from that.
If the boot priority is not CD first then you should see "press any key to boot from CD"
Please do this and then report exactly what message is on the screen.
See the link I sent please for the further steps to press R for Recovery Console

It goes to the partition manager (The one were you choose your windows installation partition)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Howdy sebz4n:

Murray

Murray

My friends switched to Win7 so his CD is not in use (is that still illegal?) and I wasn't aware that using the software on both my PC's was illegal.
Is there no way to resolve this using Linux or a boot disk/recovery disk?

No. If that cd came with his system, it is forever married to that system and can never be used on any other computer. As for the Linux question, suggest you post in that forum.As it stands, we cannot provide any further assistance here.

Sorry
Murray

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
EDIT: Macboatmaster I think I love you!
rename gagp30kx.sys gagp30kx.bak <- THAT IS GOLD RIGHT THERE!

Edited by Sebz4n, 13 September 2010 - 02:22 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
And with that and due to the use of illegal software, this thread is closed.

Murray