Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

White screen with small horizontal lines after using CoolBits and/or N

• Please log in to reply

slejeivw

slejeivw

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This started two days ago when I used CoolBits to try to overclock my NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500.

I double-clicked the .reg file included that would add the registry values, but I couldn't find the menu in the tab with my graphic card options to overclock it like it said. I thought restarting my computer would help, so I did.

After it restarted, everything was fine, from the DELL logo to the Windows XP logo and the log in menu. The white screen appeared right after I logged in. At first, my desktop appeared normally, then ten seconds later, I get the white screen. I had to hold the power button to shut off the computer and restart it. Everything returned to normal afterwards.

Later, I decided to install NTune. The install was successful and I used NTune to overclock my graphics card. I was careful not to go too high. Everything still looked fine. After a restart the white screen came back. I decided to just shut off the computer, call it a day, and go to bed.

The next day, I still got the white screen, but only three times after restarts.

Today, no matter what I do, I get the white screen. If I log on to other accounts, instead of a white screen, the computer would just freeze up.

Safe mode works perfecrtly fine. Starting with last known good configuration does not help.

So, what now? Is there a fix for this? I really think it's the graphic card's fault and not the monitor or the motherboard.

A picture of the white screen is attached.
The dots and lines are not caused by my camera.
That's my screen.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_5653.JPG

Edited by slejeivw, 12 September 2010 - 04:37 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Anyone reading this will wonder why you're trying to overclock your vid card. Nvidia's run hot to begin with, so overclocking can only make matters worse.

If everything is fine in safe mode, then apparently there are things happening while you're logged into your profile. Either a corrupt driver, or interfering software. What you should do is start the computer in Safe mode, uninstall any video card overclocking software, and try to get into your profile again to see if it remedies the situation. If it still doesn't work, get back into safe mode, uninstall the video driver and then reinstall it again. Hopefully that'll fix it.