Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp harddrive please help

• Please log in to reply

nitelite2003

nitelite2003

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi guys can you pleas pleas help me ive updated to vista as i bought a new pc but on my old pc ia have xp it crashed so i used the office angel to restore back to its factory setting as i bought it in the shop but i need thing of it pics.data files ect can i get them back on my old pc even though i resoted it back to its factory setting to how i bought it in the shop?? if i can get these thing's back any free software that can help its got alot of family pis on ther that i need to get please please help

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Unfortunately, what you're asking is pretty much impossible. Restore software will overwrite everything that was there before. When you ran the restore, it overwrote the registry, and basically this means it overwrote all the old directories (pointer's to your files) and the files themselves. You're pretty much out of luck on this one as I don't believe any software can retrieve your files. The only other option is to take/send the hard drive to a data recovery center which can cost quite a bit of money... perhaps several hundred dollars. Even then, they might not be able to do anything.

makai

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

You could try Recuva. It is a free download. Lots of people have had good success with it, others just so-so.

Right now though, you have nothing to lose.

Murray