Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't remove windows.old

• Please log in to reply

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hello,

I'm trying to delete windows.old folder but it just won't go away. Size is at 0KB.

When I go to my C drive, my computer will slow down drastically. I can barely click on the sub-folders. If I perform something, it will happen after 1-2 minutes.

1. In C drive when trying to delete it - It will load a "Recycling/Deleting" window and the computer will freeze. Every 30 minutes it will work for only 5-10 seconds then freeze again. I need to turn my computer off manually.

2. If in cmd I do a rmdir /s /q windows.old - this appears "c:\windows.old\windows\system32\config - The directory is not empty". Computer will still function normally.

3. If in cmd I go to the config directory above and do a del "." - I'm not allowed to type a new line. Computer will restart after about 15 minutes.

4. If in cmd I go to the config directory and type dir - I see one directory appearing with the name "." and the computer hangs. Same symptom as 1.

5. I go to disc cleanup - Previous windows installation is not an option after I scan. Can't remove it from here.

As long as I don't open C drive manually, the computer will function normally.

I also had a windows.old.000 which was removed successfully using the method 1. It looks like something in config folder is preventing me from removing windows.old (it's parent directory) and is hanging my computer whenever I try to remove.

I need help fast! Please assist!

Thank you very much
Dave

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download, and install Unlocker: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
Restart computer.
It'll install under right click menu.

Open Windows Explorer.
Navigate to offending folder/file.

Right click on a folder/file. Click Unlocker
Select Delete from drop-down menu:

Posted Image

Click OK.
A folder/file will refuse to be deleted, but Unlocker will give you an option to delete on reboot:

Posted Image

Click Yes.
Restart computer.

==============================================================

If the above doesn't work, try...

LockHunter: http://lockhunter.com/

FileASSASSIN: http://www.snapfiles...leassassin.html

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Lockhunter - Checked that the directory is not in use, clicked on delete it and computer hangs. Need to shut down manually
FileAssassin - Doesn't take windows.old directory. I went into the subfolder I mentioned above (config), and computer hangs. Need to shut down manually

Unlocker - Using the Windows Explorer (left pane), I get this window. I changed the drop-down to Delete and clicked on Unlock All. "Recyclying/Deleting" window pops up and computer hangs. Need to shut down manually.

Posted Image

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try Unlocker from Safe Mode.

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Tried opening unlocker from safe mode but it won't open. None of the programs are working actually.

One thing I did notice is that windows.old is in "read-only". I tried unchecking this and I see the process saying changing attribute to windows.old\...\config directory but my computer restarts after 5 minutes. windows.old still remains.

Any other suggestions?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you try rmdir /s /q windows.old from Safe Mode?
Is this Vista computer?

Also, this command:

If in cmd I go to the config directory above and do a del "."

is incorrect.
It should be:
del *.*

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes, tried that in safe mode too. This is a windows 7 64-bit (Gateway DX4831-01c.)

I've tried removing windows.old already from a laptop of mine, and it was gone good. This desktop is having problems though.

I think I've done that actually, *.*, but mistyped it. It's the same thing I use when browsing directories to show all extensions.

Anything else I can try (except to take this computer to let's say future shop...)?

Edited by davidkimdd, 13 September 2010 - 08:25 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you have Vista/7 DVD...

start with step 2

If you don't have Vista/7 DVD...

1. Create Vista/7 Recovery Disc.

Option 1 :
Vista: http://www.c4consult... SOLUCTIONS.htm
Windows 7: http://www.guidingte...disc-windows-7/

Option 2:
Download Vista Recovery Disc iso image: http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/
Download Windows 7 Recovery Disc iso image: http://neosmart.net/...m-repair-discs/
Burn it to CD, or DVD: http://neosmart.net/... to a CD or DVD

2. Boot from created disk.
At first screen click on Repair your computer:
Posted Image
This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box:
Posted Image
After this, it will present you with a list of options including startup repair, system restore and command prompt:
Posted Image
Select Command Prompt

Try your commands from there.

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Just went there as you suggested, but windows.old directory does not show up. There are two drives x: and c: but c: only has temp folder. x: has windows, users, program files. Typed dir and windows.old doesn't exist.

Am I missing something?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hmmm.....I'm not sure

Try this...

Please download OTLPE (filesize 120,9 MB)

• When downloaded double click on OTLPENet.exe and make sure there is a blank CD in your CD drive. This will automatically create a bootable CD.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.

You'll end up at almost regular desktop and you can use File Manager to look around.

Advertisements

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
That loaded for 5 minutes, and tried to start windows in xp...then i got the blue screen. Don't think this is a good method. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It takes time to load. Be patient.
It should work.
Retry.

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I've done it twice, it gives me the blue screen telling me to restart. I don't want to use this method if it's going to give me the blue screen again. Any other way?

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Please tell me I'm wrong...but something just came to my mind after looking at the screenshot for unlocker which I attached above.

It says that path c:\windows.old is locked, but process path is c:\windows\explorer.exe. Could it be because that this file is interlinked between windows and windows.old? If it is, then removing this directory does not help me at all...but destroy my computer permanently. Is there a way to break this link?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No. For some reason, explorer is locking that folder.
That path is for explorer, not for windows.old.
It simply tells you, where explorer is located.