Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple DSL Modems?

• Please log in to reply

PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi. I currently have my Verizon DSL modem in my basement connected to my desktop computer. I would like to have internet connectivity to my laptop on my 3rd floor bedroom. I don't think a WiFi router would reach that far (perhaps it might), but could I just purchase an additional DSL modem, plug it in to the jack in my 3rd floor bedroom, and have another wired connection that way?

Thank you

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
your best bet would be to just call verizon and ask them to send you a dsl modem that has WiFi built-in. if you don't want to do that then just buy a wireless router and connect it to your dsl modem, your laptop will definatly get a signal on the 3rd floor if u buy a decent router.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hi. I currently have my Verizon DSL modem in my basement connected to my desktop computer. I would like to have internet connectivity to my laptop on my 3rd floor bedroom. I don't think a WiFi router would reach that far (perhaps it might), but could I just purchase an additional DSL modem, plug it in to the jack in my 3rd floor bedroom, and have another wired connection that way?

Most routers can be used as switches.

However an alternative may be to look at this:
http://www.homeplug.org/home/

All you do with this is plug it into the wall, run a cable from the router to the plug, then plug another homeplug in anywhere else in the house and run a network cable from it to the network port on the PC/Laptop.
Providing the cables are all on the same circuit (ie you don't have one ring for upstairs and an entirely different one downstairs) it'll work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
+1 for homeplug in your situation. you could even hook up a wireless access point to the homeplug upstairs if you don't want to hard wire your laptop to it. this would give you full wireless coverage on that floor (depending on it's construction and the AP that you choose)

also, if you WERE to get another DSL modem upstairs, you'd have to first get a new separate phone line (you can't have two active connections on one phone line if memory serves correct) and you'd have to pay for another DSL account (can't use two modems with the same account, that one i know for sure)