Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Connection Problen

• Please log in to reply

sheperd06

sheperd06

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

I am in the process of building a PC and ran across an older boxed Motherboard (D865GLC/D865PESO). Here is information about the board:
www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/404/C3263901.pdf

I believe the Motherboard is installed correctly but I can't figure out where the connectors from the computer to the Motherboard go; I'm afraid I was completely focused on the installation. There are three (3) connectors in question: One thick gray cable; a thin black/white cable; and a multi red/blue/black/yellow/white/green cable. The manual was no help and as this is my first time attempting this project, a tutorial or illustrations would be great but I can't find anything online. I contacted Intel and they were no help. My PC is an HP D220MT. Specs for the machine attached.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated as I have tried for the past few hours to resolve this issue on my own! :)

Note: I posted this topic in the wrong section and will try to delete it.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi, :)

Her is a link, still on Geeks > http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

Have a good look at this first and if you still need help, Please post back your results.

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
From what I'm gathering your trying to put a new motherboard in your HP D220MT? Anyways, you need to find the info for your case, which if its from HP you probably won't find info on it. did you look at the ends of the wires coming from the computer case to see if they have anything written on them. Most of the time they do. (H.D.D LED is the hard drive light, Power LED is the power light). they should say what there for on the black connector at the end of the wire. update us on what you find out.

good luck

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi sheperd06, for convenience here is a link to the MB
http://download.inte...FLC_English.pdf
And here is a link to the original system http://bizsupport1.a...8/c00240268.pdf
As the MB you are installing is not the generic one for the case the connections are likely to be different.
I havn`t worked on a HP for a couple of months but from memory I will try and identify what the connections you are describing are and where they will go on the replacement MB and make a reference to a page number in the manual.
Your descriptions;
1: One thick gray cable, audio connector, see page 87 of the new MB manual.
2: a thin black/white cable, possibly for the power switch, goes to the header J9J1 on the new MB, pages 40 and 43.
3: multi red/blue/black/yellow/white/green cable, HDD activity led, power led etc, all go to the header J9J1 on the new MB again pages 40 and 43.
If the multi red/blue/black/yellow/white/green cable connector does not match up with the J9J1 header on the MB you would have to remove the end block connector and attach smaller individual connectors to each one, but hopefully not as the task is a pain in the butt.
I hope this helps get you sorted and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Edited by phillpower2, 13 September 2010 - 06:33 AM.

sheperd06

sheperd06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions; much appreciated! :) I will follow listed instructions and post back with the outcome.

Edited by sheperd06, 13 September 2010 - 06:31 AM.

sheperd06

sheperd06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I pointed out to phillpower2 that I am more confused than ever. The documentation that I looked at does not clearly indicate where the cable connectors from the computer should be inserted on the Motherboard. Also, computer cable connectors aren't labeled which certainly doesn't help the situation. The HDD, DVD, PSU, and Cooling Fan are all connected. Once it's determined where those 3 wires should be inserted, my problems will be over!

Edited by sheperd06, 13 September 2010 - 08:07 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Could you check the diagram on page 40 of the MB manual to see if the grey cable is in fact for 2 front USB ports, on the diagram they are identified as B-J9F1 and C-J9H1, compare the bottom of the connector block to the image in the diagram.
The reason I ask is whilst attempting to find information on the case wiring I came across the image at the attached link which shows 2 usb ports, is it the same case? http://www.liquidati...l.asp?id=174644
I didn`t notice these on the images at the other link :)

sheperd06

sheperd06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The gray cable does indeed lead to 2 USB Ports, and the black/white cable part number 174921-001 lists it as a Compaq Sps-spkr 40x70 12. Now I need to determine exactly where to insert these cables on the motherboard. Also, I will go back and look at the multi-color switch to see if I can find any information that might help.

Edited by sheperd06, 13 September 2010 - 10:10 AM.

sheperd06

sheperd06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The multicolored cable leads to the power switch. We're making progress. :)

sheperd06

sheperd06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Although all computer connectors have been identified, I am still unable to determine where exactly the connectors should be inserted into the motherboard. So at this point, I am pretty much stuck. Thanks!

sheperd06

sheperd06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Phillpower2 did a great job assisting with my Motherboard Connection issues. He went the "extra mile" to research the matter, next he identified the resolution, and finally he offered instructions that allowed me to resolve the problem. Thanks Phillpower2 for sharing your knowledge and expertise; I am most appreciative. :)

As my issues are resolved I am requesting that this thread be closed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thank you for your kind words and for allowing GTG and myself to assist you, :)
I am happy the issue is now resolved and if you need us again you need only ask. :)
Good luck with future projects :)