Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Using winnt32.exe

• Please log in to reply

angel99

angel99

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Help! My boyfriend has an Averatec 2200 Series laptop. It was having major issues so we wanted to do a full system restore. He said he had already backed up his files. Since that laptop came with no disks, I read online that you could do a system restore without any disks by going to C: Windows i386 and finding winnt32.exe. We launched it, used the product key and it looked like it worked. Everything is wiped out.

Well, not really. Now nothing works. All old programs are still in the program files, but not in the Start button. The wireless internet is gone, and most buttons are disabled. I read after we did that that Averatec's have a Phoniex recovery software that lets you just press F4 to restore. Well now F4 doesn't work because of winnt32!!!

Help me! He wants to kill me for reading these and coming up with that idea, but I really need to help him fix this since it was my fault.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to Avertac or Trigem that makes the laptop themselves.

Your machine is equipped with the Phoenix Recovery program built into the hard drive. Upon booting up the unit, press the F4 button to enter the recovery program and follow the on-screen instructions.

I have searched all over their website and have found no way to contact them directly but only through email HERE

angel99

angel99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks. I did read about the F4 button after we already used winnt32. Launching winnt32.exe seems to have wiped out the function of F4 because F4 does nothing. I can see the old programs in the "program files" but everything else looks wiped out. Documents, drivers, etc. Everything is gone. What do I do now? Can I go back to a time before I did the winnt32? All the winnt32 did was make things worse. I've been up all night searching and I can't believe I ruined his computer!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Some systems have the recovery partition access through the bios so you might try going in that and see if it is accessible.
If no joy there then you may need to contact Trigem per my last post and see if they can help you with recovery disks.
The last option would be to borrow a XP installation disk of the same version you have installed on the laptop and try to do a Repair Installation or you may end up formatting and starting completely over.
The drivers for the system are no problem as they are all located HERE

angel99

angel99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
[quote name='rshaffer61' timestamp='1284392047' post='1900293']
Some systems have the recovery partition access through the bios so you might try going in that and see if it is accessible.

I know just enough to be dangerous (obviously). Can you explain this to me?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you first turn system on it should give you the key or keys to push to enter the Bios or Setup area.
Once in there check to see if it shows Recovery or Factory Recovery anywhere.
DO NOT change anything else in the bios as it may result in the system becoming unbootable.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Found the Support phone number on Newegg... (right side column). Not sure if it's correct, but you could give it a try... 877-462-3462. Good luck!

makai

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Found the Support phone number on Newegg... (right side column). Not sure if it's correct, but you could give it a try... 877-462-3462. Good luck!

makai

Great find Makai :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What can I say, I'm a Newegg maniac!;-)

angel99

angel99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you everyone! I ordered a system recovery disk from them.

Please smack the guy that said you could do a system restore in this manner!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and please let us know how everything works out or if you need further assistance with this issue.
We like to know good or bad the ending resolution as it may help someone else with the same situation. :) :) :) :)