Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Card? Just can't figure it out

• Please log in to reply

Avrum10

Avrum10

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay....after having recently been given an enormous amount of appreciated help here in Geeks to Go, I reinstalled my XP-operating system and followed that with installation of all the recommended security software and frills. Everything is working just fine with the exception of one thing and I can't figure out what that is.

I frequently need to download a video...or a portion of one...from the Internet and I had long been doing that with software that enabled me to do so. I was able to get both the video AND the audio when I did this kind of project. However, after I did my re-installation, while I can download the video, the audio-component isn't available on my new file.

This is the case regarding files I attempt to create with the software that had always enabled me to do that very thing before, as well as with software that I acquired since the re-installation.

I've done some searching around and I have seen numerous discussions regarding Sigmatel sound cards that comes with Dell computers, like mine. In my search I've seen that there is a common belief that Dell fails to include a "What you hear" feature with the Sigmatel sound cards they use and that would prevent the capability to include audio with a video file that's downloaded from the Internet. (This feature is called "What you hear" but is also referred to with other names like "line-in from speakers" I believe, also.)

In any event, IF that is indeed the case, I would simply replace my sound card with one that's compatible with my Dell Dimension-computer that has the "What you Hear"-capability. The problem is, despite what I've read on the Internet, I'm not convinced it's the sound card. I'm not convinced because:

1. I had been able to record the audio-component of videos when I
did that in the past
2. I can presently record sound from the Internet using audio-software
as opposed to video software
3. I can presently burn audio CDs
4. I can presently edit video files with sound that I've downloaded before this
problem arose and sound isn't a problem when I do that
5. In short, I have no other sound/audio-related issues at all (ie. I can hear all
Windows sounds, AOL sounds, listen to Internet Radio, CDs, sounds at websites, etc.)

SO...I'd really appreciate it if I could get some help in making a determination as to what's causing this issue.

Like I mentioned, I would just go out and get an appropriate sound card with the "What you Hear"-feature, but it doesn't
seem clear as to that being the cause of the problem. I don't want to get myself a new sound card only to find that the problem continues.

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you installed the DELL sigmatel audio drivers? If you used a regular Microsoft XP CD to reinstall windows it may not have had the correct drivers for your sigmatel hardware.

http://support.dell....3&fileid=195627

http://support.dell....n&catid=&impid=

You did not say your model so i am just guessing here on what you need.

SRX660

Avrum10

Avrum10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
All the drivers and codecs were downloaded and are up-to-date.

Sigmatel High Definition Audio