Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about notebook video driver...

• Please log in to reply

Joshikun2501

Joshikun2501

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a fairly older Alienware m15x, with an nVidia 8800m gtx. I'm wondering if I can somehow install the latest nVidia drivers. Alienware boasts about customization, I hope there is a way. Some of the games I'm playing and/or in betas for don't really like the old driver. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Newest driver located HERE
Newest driver seems to be a beta so make sure you read the warning in case you have problems. This tells you how to correct it.
Lower driver is the newest.

Joshikun2501

Joshikun2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I was looking to install the 258.96 drivers that are available. I have the "most recent" drivers for my system which is 186.03. Is there any way to be able to get the 258.96 on the m15x, you think?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the drivers on the alienware website are the most recent drivers certified to work with your card. if your card isn't listed in the list of cards that a driver update applies to, then that update isn't for your card.

Joshikun2501

Joshikun2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Translation: If it's not on the Alienware website it won't work. Is that correct? It just baffles me because they boast, custom this and custom that, and yet they can't stay up to date with drivers. Reading the release notes of the driver updates you see things like, "In creased performance in (Game)". They are a company that makes gaming machines, wouldn't you think that they would like to stay up to date?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Translation: If it's not on the Alienware website it won't work. Is that correct?

not exactly.....what it means is, that if you go the NVidia website, and check the release notes for the driver version you mentioned you were hoping to get to (or better yet, go to the nvidia website and search for your video card and see what version they suggest), it will list all of the cards that that driver will work with. if yours isn't on the list then that driver won't work for your card

Joshikun2501

Joshikun2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thats the rub. It says that my card is supported. I even used the nvidia scanner on the website. However; I installed the driver, and in the device manager the card is recognized, but has an error. "Microsoft Windows has stopped this service because there is a problem. (Code 43)" Any thoughts?