Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Got a WD Caviar-Black 500GB

• Please log in to reply

JWnTX

JWnTX

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
SMART's showing FAIL on testing. Won't complete either quick or extended test and won't repair bad sectors. WD's Data Lifeguard has a "WRITE ZEROS" option on the menu. I've recovered what I need and I was wondering if I might be able to 0 it out and get it working correctly? Or should I just box it up and send it in? BTW, there are two other factors that show "Warranty" in the report-Raw Read Error Rate and Spin Up Time--it sounds like a lost cause to me, but will a low-level format recover it?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Won't complete either quick or extended test and won't repair bad sectors.

Drive is toast. Return it for a replacement while it's still under warranty.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I've recovered what I need and I was wondering if I might be able to 0 it out and get it working correctly?

That's 3 separate operations (recovering your data, zero out drive, get it working correctly). You said you recovered your data so that is good. If you want to zero it out so no one can see what you had stored on it, then you might try Eraser - but with the drive having problems, it may not work. As far as getting it to work correctly, even if a low-level format could get it working, I would not trust that drive to remain error free or to keep my data safe. I agree with rshaffer - return it while it is still under warranty.

JWnTX

JWnTX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks so much. I figured it was toast, but the time down is going to hurt. I guess I'll make up for it with the additional speed from a brand spankin' new one ;-)