Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 16400 black scree issue

• Please log in to reply

Flaxton31

Flaxton31

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

My Dell laptop shows the "F2 for setup" prompt while booting and then goes black - but the PC will continue to boot OK. I have connected up an external monitor and it boots up directly to the monitor OK. However, when I try to swap between monitor and screen, I get a message telling me that there is no external monitor connected??? If I go into screen properties and extend my workspace to the screen, it allows me to do so but there is no image on the screen.

In summary then, on bootup, the initial black and white text is displayed but the screen goes black as soon as the first colour is sent to the screen.

I have had a previous issue with the screen and I recall that it went away when I reloaded some drivers - I can't recall what the exact symptoms were or what the dirvers were as it was about 18 months ago. Would reloading drivers be an option? If so, which ones?

I look forward to your input... Thx.

Advertisements