Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Building around a graphics card....

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys, I'm new, just thought I'd post up these specs and see what you guys think.

This is not a PC for me.. lol
I'll give you all a little background information....

I work in IT for medium sized business, but am a network administrator - not too hands on with ripping hardware out and replacing it (I'm just starting to get my qualifications up with the Microsoft side of things, I'm only 19, and a giiiiiirl, gimme a break lol)

Anyway we had one of our work people bring in a home PC - and considering I'm a nice person, I said I'd have a look at it...
The case was covered in what looked like coke.. (the fizzy cola drink), some of the USB pins were totally smooshed and actually short circuiting the board and to top it off, some of those power connectors and their pins were crazily bent). Anyway, she asked me to have a look at parts (when I'm not busy) to build around the RAM (4GB worth), a salvagable Leadtek PX9600GT card and a NEW 460W eXtreme Power Plus Coolermaster PSU that his mum bought previously...

So as I was about to order parts and double/triple check over things, this is what I came up with...

- Intel Core 2 Duo E7500, 2.93GHz Click Here
- ASUS P5G41T-M LE Micro ATX board Click Here
- Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA HDD (the hard drive was completely destroyed..) and it's on special...
- A new case (its a midi case - hence small motherboard)(Aywun G03) Click Here
- and new RAM (2 x 2GB PQI dual channel memory kit (DDR3) - why? because the kid running 4GB of DDR2 in the old pc Here we go..

My money limit is $450 Australian. And I'm just under..
As it's not a PC for me, it needs to be good enough to run the card - the kids a bit of a gamer..

Any help would be awesome :)

Cheers guys!

Edited by macaddict, 13 September 2010 - 08:26 PM.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,724 posts
Hi macaddict :)
Not a bad job for the budget, don`t forget the thermal insulation paste and the heatsink and fan for the CPU.