Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Programs will not start from shortcuts

• Please log in to reply

pcfix_3

pcfix_3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having an issue on a Win2k3 server. The server has a raid 5 configuration and after a HDD failure took down the system we replaced the failed disk and reconfigured the RAID correctly. Now windows works fine with the exception of the fact that every shortcut is useless (including those in the start menu). The only error that I receive is that "one or more services has failed to start" (upon startup before login) which is probably caused by the original issue but not a cause of it. I have tried creating a shortcut directly from a .exe file and it did nothing. When I click on a shortcut in the start menu I get the hour glass for about 1/4 of a second and nothing pops up, even in the task manager. Only shortcuts are affected for instance the calculator shortcut or the IE shortcut. I can run any program by going directly to the program in the program files folder or by typing the path in either the command prompt or the run dialog box. I have checked the registry for the obvious problems but I could have over looked it. I have also replaced the explorer.exe file with a new copy but that didn't work either. There are no viruses on the computer that I am aware of. Please help

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
http://pcsupport.abo...he-easy-way.htm this is what you need im sure of it

pcfix_3

pcfix_3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you. I forgot about that tool. I am currently in the process of moving the server from one building to another so I can't access it right now but I will try that when it's back up and let you know.