Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down 1-2 Sec's after closing intensive applications

• Please log in to reply

Problematic 1

Problematic 1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the site so i apologize if it's in the wrong place.

I built my first system just over a year ago with the following components:

CPU: AMD 6400+ (3.2Ghz dual core) Replaced stock cooler with Arctic freezer Xtreme.
Motherboard: Asus M3N72-D
Graphics card: 512mb, Zotac 9800GT (synergy edition).
Ram: 2+2GB 800Mhz ddr2 (cheapy kingston ram)... ran out of cash after the graphics card, cpu and M/B.
PSU: Ezcool 650W.

Iv'e had this problem ever since it was built. I can play a game (command and conquer 4- for arguments sake).
I can usually play the game fine, but if i pause the game or when the match finnished about a second later the computer shuts down and wont turn on for a few minutes. pressing the power button results in the fans spinning up for a couple of seconds before shutting off again.

Iv'e run Prime 95 for a couple of hours, no errors found. the second i closed prime 95, computer shutdown. seems like everytime i close an intensive application, it shuts off.

It doesnt appear to be overheating. Cpu reaches 49-50C (peak), graphics card hits 69C running furmark.

After about 10-20 minutes of gaming you can start to hear a buzzing noise which slowly gets louder and louder, i believe the noise is coming from the psu. i know its a cheap psu £25, but it was the one i was given when i purchased the parts and i was told that it would be fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
I'm sorry to hear about your problems but lets see if we can find the root of the issue.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Problematic 1

Problematic 1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

luckily i've already got speedfan installed as i used it to monitor my temps when i was trying to figure out what was going on.

you will have to ignore my harddrive temp as i dont even think it has a sensor on it. also, temp 3 is a bit bizarre...

Ive attached a printscreen of speedfan when the system is idle. after i send this message i will take another one when prime 95 and furmark is on. Just have to remember not to close prime 95 before i send the message lol.

Thanks for your help!

Speed fan, Temps..JPG

Edited by Problematic 1, 15 September 2010 - 02:24 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nothing attached.

Problematic 1

Problematic 1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
sorry, just modified it.

Here is speedfan after a fair few minutes of running prime95 and furmark.

speed fan, Temps under load.JPG

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think we found your problem.
Look at your +3.0 volt reading... it's not registering at all.

Just to verify try the following.
Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)

Run the setup executable file, and let it guide you for the installation process. The setup installs a service, that is started the first time that you run HWMonitor.
Post a screenshot of the sensors on it.

Problematic 1

Problematic 1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Intersting...
I already have HD monitor installed from ages ago.

Ive taken a screenshot of HD monitor running, or do you need me to delete it and re-install it to see the sensors you are refering to?

Would the computer still function at all without a +3.0V rail?

Cheers :-).

HDmonitor screenshot.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
hmm interesting.
Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished

Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on the Sensors directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply

Problematic 1

Problematic 1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK Thanks,
downloaded and installed the program,here are the results:

system info, sensors printscreen.JPG

That doesnt appear to be displaying a 3.3V rail either.

could the sensor on my M/B be duff?

Could it have been damaged when my previous 9800GT broke? as it took my monitor out aswell. (or the monitor took the graphics card out) not sure which way it happened.

Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

After about 10-20 minutes of gaming you can start to hear a buzzing noise which slowly gets louder and louder, i believe the noise is coming from the psu. i know its a cheap psu £25, but it was the one i was given when i purchased the parts and i was told that it would be fine.

This is what I'm looking at and I think the problem is the +3.3 rail.
Other then playing games does the system run fine?

Advertisements

Problematic 1

Problematic 1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The system runs brilliantly, up until you close a game, or sometimes when you pause a game. Quiet rarely it will cut-out while your playing a game but thats only happened once or twice... its just when you exit the game :-/.

so you think its the +3.3V rail?

Would the system work at all without a 3.3V rail?

I got given a PSU to try, so when i get the time i will give it a go and try to make it cutout and see what happens.
i hope it is the psu lol.

cheers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What wattage is the other PSU?
It needs to be at least the same if not more then the one you have now.

Problematic 1

Problematic 1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a 650W in there at the moment, a friend lent me his 550W.

If my psu needs up-rating, then i might aswell get a good one this time... maybe another 9800gt while im at it :-P. but i don't want to fork out for a nice PSU if its not the problem :-/.

I got a print screen of ASUS probe showing the +3.3V rail. i got a multimeter on my M/B connector and from orange to black i had 3.38V, i put prime 95 on and it dropped to 3.37V... so the 3.3V is there...

ASUS probe readings.JPG

So im still a bit lost as to whats going on... computers... lol.

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hm interesting to say the least.
Lets check the system then to see if there is a issue with the OS or he other hardware,
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 6 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 15 09 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 19 09 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Problematic 1

Problematic 1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok.
would i have to try and make it cutout on me first so i can put a date in that i know it crashed?

I got myself another 9800GT. when i tried running the 2 in SLI i got the bios screen then windows loading screen, but when i should have seen the desktop i just have black. I assume that's my PSU... 650W lol. I was being hopeful when i plugged both of those cards in...