Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I make an audio CD for an old car CD player?

• Please log in to reply

the real dreadpiratedaz

the real dreadpiratedaz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This might sound dumb to many people, but I'm having problems burning my i-tunes podcasts(free podcasts) onto DVD+RW (and DVD+R) discs. I want to listen to them on a fairly old CD player in my car while I drive around. Simple you would think, but my car and the CD player in the house don't recognise the disc at all: NO DISC! I tried to solve it myself but got confused with all the different file types etc (live file and mastered). Is there special software that could do this for me? Or is it a matter of incompatible hardware issues? I thought it would be simple, if someone can help, that would be great.

I have a computer that is just over a year old with a re-writeable dvd drive. I have windows media player and i-tunes.
cheers
Daz

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well, problem #1 is there's no way that any CD player will read a DVD...it's a different type of disk and needs a different type of laser to read. you need to burn things as an audio CD onto a CD

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

This might sound dumb to many people, but I'm having problems burning my i-tunes podcasts(free podcasts) onto DVD+RW (and DVD+R) discs. I want to listen to them on a fairly old CD player in my car while I drive around. Simple you would think, but my car and the CD player in the house don't recognise the disc at all: NO DISC! I tried to solve it myself but got confused with all the different file types etc (live file and mastered). Is there special software that could do this for me? Or is it a matter of incompatible hardware issues? I thought it would be simple, if someone can help, that would be great.

Simple answer: You don't, not on DVD format anyway.

Dependent on the capabilities of the CD player in question, you may only have two options:

1) Burn it as an Audio CD on a CD-R. Any half-decent program such as Nero will do this automatically for you if you feed it a list of MP3 files.
The only problem with this option is some CD players, particularly older ones, do not recognise CDs that are burnt on a computer, because technically they're not valid disks. More modern hardware is tolerant of this but older hardware isn't. CDs you buy at a music store are pressed, whereas CDs you make at home are burnt with a laser. The older hardware doesn't "know" the difference and can't read the laser-burnt disks.

2) Burn it as an MP3 disk. This is effectively taking a bunch of MP3 files and physically burning them as physical files on the CD. This option is potentially available for use with DVD media as well, though it won't work in your car as it can't read DVDs.
However I dare say if the CD player can't read CDs that you burnt on the computer, it's not going to see an MP3 disk either.

There is an alternative solution: Buy an MP3 Player and a wireless transmitter., something like this:
http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sim_ce_7

All you do then is load up the MP3 player with your tunes, set the frequency on the transmitter to a free one, connect the cable to the headphone socket of the MP3 player, start it playing on the MP3 player, then tune it in on the car. If you set the transmitter at 97.9FM for example, tune the car radio in at 97.9FM and you'll hear the MP3 player. In future just change the tracks on the MP3 player. This works for any radio, not just the car radio.

the real dreadpiratedaz

the real dreadpiratedaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Doh! I knew I was thick, but I didn't think I was that thick.
Thanks! Will try a CD disc!