Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing Hard Drive and Cloning Old Drive, including OS

• Please log in to reply

Sydney34

Sydney34

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi again. You recently helped me purge a nasty malware infection (for which I was most grateful and made a donation!). In the course of the diagnosis, it became apparent my hard drive was dodgy and should be replaced. I'm a computer dummy but am also broke and would like to try to replace the drive myself. I found a tutorial that uses DriveImage XML and then Ultimate Boot CD4Win. The computer is my dad's old desktop, and he was using a pirated version of XP Prof, and I've got the disk. I've only got the recovery disk for XP Home, not an actual installation disk. I've already bought the hard drive. And here's a really stupid question: if I do this, would the new drive be the master and the old, the slave? --Cheers from Sydney in Ireland.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

And here's a really stupid question: if I do this, would the new drive be the master and the old, the slave?

Yes, you could do it that way ... if the drives are IDE, (instead of SATA).

Sydney34

Sydney34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks SpywareDr. I'm afraid I'm out of my depth, but I downloaded DriveImage XML and tried to make the clone. The tutorial directed the clone to the E: drive, which I didn't understand as that's my CD-Rom drive and nothing was said about cloning to a CD. So I directed it back to the C: drive, to clone itself onto itself in effect, but first it said it couldn't find the path and should it create it (I'd named the prospective file "desktopclone"). I said yes and it worked for a short time longer but then gave another message (which I didn't write down unfortunately) and I aborted. Can you clarify? I'm also wondering why I have to build the Ultimate Boot CD using an XP installation disk if I'm cloning the OS along with everything else on the hard drive. The problem is I only have a pirated version of XP Pro. Sorry if I'm wasting your time. Cheers. Sydney.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The problem is I only have a pirated version of XP Pro.

Geeks to Go Forums > Terms of Use
http://www.geekstogo...tion=boardrules

3. Geeks to Go Support Forum Rules, Policies and Disclaimers

p. ... We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

Sorry. :D

Edited by SpywareDr, 19 September 2010 - 03:14 PM.

Sydney34

Sydney34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok, I understand. I actually inherited the computer with what seems not to be a genuine copy of XP. Thanks anyway.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You're welcome.