Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VMWare Workstation 7 Question

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Alright, I hope someone here can shed some light on to what I am trying to do.

Here is the Run Down,

On my primary desktop (one listed in my sig), I have VMWare Workstation 7 installed. In this workstation I have a copy of TrixBox 2.6 CE (CentOS base installed and configured). This image is a back up image in case of a primary PBX server failure, which inherently as soon as I made the image my primary server failed with a bad PSU. Since funds are currently tight I've had to run the VMware image longer than anticipated. So far it has been running fine for almost a month now. But the problem is that when Windows 7 gets updates it tends to restart on its own. When it does this the VMware Workstation will not come back online until I manually restart it.

I've created a batch file to automatically load the vmware image at login but if a reboot happens at 3am I won't know until 8:30 / 9:00 am when I can get to my computer. What I want to do is somehow on boot have VMware load this one image up and run it in the background as it does now so when the logon screen is shown the virtual machine is in the process of booting up, this way when I get to my desktop I don't have to worry if my phone system is down again from a system update at 3am.

TIA Jon

P.S. I know some people may ask or have general concerns about using VMware in a desktop. But I have been running it for over a month now and see no performance change while under heavy calls or when I game at the same time. (and for heavy calls I mean 4+ internal calls (Using PBX as Skype Bridge with relatives & family in other states hooked into my pbx via hardware or soft phones to simulate local calls) with 2-3 outbound/inbound calls.) Stupid relatives tying up my phone... argh...

Advertisements