Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to perform system recovery

• Please log in to reply

ajmaguire27

ajmaguire27

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

Unable to perform system recovery. Error message states that shell32.dll is corrupt.

Thanks,

James

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
Sorry to hear about your issue.
First of all we need some info on your system and a more detailed description of the issue.

Is this a desktop or laptop
Branded or custom built system
Make and model if branded
Motherboard make and model if custom built
Original issue that caused you to want to restore.
What disk are you using to restore with
Is it original recovery, OEM, retail burned or downloaded disk

ajmaguire27

ajmaguire27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

I'm using a Gateway laptop MX7515. Bought it directly from Gateway. Wanted to perform system recovery because I'm unable to download Itunes because an older version of Bonjour can't be removed from my system. The DVD drive on my laptop doesn't work so I was using an external drive to perform recovery. I'm using a system recovery disc provided to me by Gateway.

Thanks,

James

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK have you checked in the bios and made sure the system is set to boot to the cdrom first?
Second is your system capable of booting to a USB device?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello Ron, I'm going to jump in here to offer some advice to the OP. You may be moving in the same direction, but better safe than sorry as you never know if someone will move ahead on their own.

Just a warning to the OP. Be aware that using the system recovery disc may return your computer back to how it was when you first purchased it. This means it may wipe all your data, to include any installed software, documents, and music (since you mention Itunes). Be sure to backup all your data before commencing with the recovery.

Ok, that's all I wanted to say. ;-)

makai

ajmaguire27

ajmaguire27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

Yes the system is capable of booting to a USB device. Yes I have checked the BIOS settings to be sure that the system is set to boot to the external CD-ROM drive. There are no signs of a problem until the recovery disc boots (or begins to boot) from the external drive. This is when I get the error message on the screen that states that shell32.dll is corrupt.

Thanks for the warning Makai.

Thanks,

James

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Makai and yes my though exactly. I found this in my researching the issue. I can't say it will work but worth a try.

Try holding down the alt key and hit f10 a couple of times on the post(before the windows logo appears).
if you end up in a screen where you get the option to restore to an earlier date try that,if the computer was reformatted and there is no recovery partition,then you wont get to the factory default,let me know if it works.