Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My friend screwed my computer up while i was gone

• Please log in to reply

Maleboe

Maleboe

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I am royally screwed and i need to know how to fix this. Any solutions you all can offer would be of any assistance. He completely formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows with a pirated copy while I was away when i good and well payed 800 dollars for a laptop with legitimate copy on it about 6 months ago. First of all my question would be how would I go and recover some of those files off of there and second what would be my next step without having to sit and pay for another copy of windows from Microsoft. I would just deal with what he but the computer is acting really weird not registering that i am charging it, beeping every two seconds, several drivers aren't installed. Please help me out someone... Thanks in advance always

Losing it in Kentucky

Edited by Maleboe, 16 September 2010 - 01:35 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not a very good friend really, is he?

You need to run some data recovery programs on the drive while it's connected to another machine. However data recovery is never 100% guaranteed so it's possible you may not be able to get anything back.
Something like these: http://www.freeware-...il/datarec.html

Secondly if the laptop has a valid licence on the bottom of and you have a disk for that version of Windows just reinstall it and wipe the drive again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the make/model of the laptop?