Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Using a PC as a temporary DHCP router?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Strange question, but bare with me...
Is their a way, or perhaps an application, to make a PC a temporary DHCP router?
For example, I want to connect an embedded PC to an existing network that uses only static IP addresses.
This embedded PC is setup for DHCP and therefore will not be able to obtain an IP from the server, and will eventually default to 169.xxx/..
The MAC address of the machine is unknown, so ARP commands will not work.
The embedded PC has no monitor, mouse or keyboard. Only a VNC program is used to administer the machine.
Lets assume that the PC I am using does not have internet access.
If I where to connect directly to the embedded PC with a cable, is there a way to have my machine issue the embedded PC an IP (within a given scope like a router) to gain access to the embedded PC and then change it to what I need the IP to be?
Is there a way to determine the IP of the embedded PC using only the 2 computers and a cable?

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
In theory you could enable Internet Connection Sharing as long as you have two network cards. One card will be the external (internet) link and the other will internal link. Just hook the second device (the embedded system) to the internal link with a cross over cable and power it on.

After boot up the device should get an IP address from the computer running ICS (internet connection sharing) and you should be able to log in that way. You may have to guess at the IP though but it would be 192.168.xxx.xxx

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
do you have access to a network that has DHCP on it already (like a home network, or a wireless router, or anything that's giving out DHCP addresses)? if so, plug it into that network, find the IP address of the machine (if you've got a wireless router or what not that's issuing DHCP, then you can log into it's control panel and see what devices have been assigned addresses), then use the VNC app to log in and change the IP to a static assignment, then when you plug it back in to the production network it should be fine