Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gendel32.exe shows up on my C drive? [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I don't know of any programs that I would recommend for this. Are you considered the admin of this computer?

Advertisements

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
somethin else wierd i just remebered (on the windows 2000 computer at work )... if you go Start>Search>On The Internet ..it lets you acces Internet Explorer and when it brings up the page it is set on about:blank.. i went to access the internet the regular way C/program Files/Internet Explorer..and clicked Iexplore.exe and it brought up yahoo.com..like everything is fine. It just kinda freaked me out when it brought that up using the start>search> method. I went to yahoo.com then went into tools and tryed to set home page as use current. It let me do it then when i started over and opened it again it was back to about:blank

Kinda wierd

Yea i would be the Admin i guess... the owners are my friends ( im the night manager )and they dont know how to do much on the computer( im pretty much the only one who knows how to do anything with the aloha system)

Edited by retrac, 25 May 2005 - 01:21 AM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Does the day manager know how to change the security on Internet Explorer?? That's one option. Completely securing where he won't be able to do much...

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
does that about: blank thing worry you ??? like i said when i use the regular link to IE it is fine ?

Im not sure he knows how to do that ...im not sure i do either?

im guessin Tools> Internet Options> security tab ??

Edited by retrac, 25 May 2005 - 01:28 AM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Yeah, it does not worry me especially since we thoroughly cleaned the system!

If you really want to lock it down you would go to Tools > Internet Options then set security to high, privacy to block all cookies (that's as high as it goes!), then you can enable "content advisor" and lock that with a password lol

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
will content advisor block the internet totally ???

I have cookies set too > block 3rd party and prompt 1st party.but i guess you can still let in the cookies....

pretty much if i set privacy to high and activate content advisor will this block all internet use without a password ???

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
If you set up content advisor there is an option to allow the supervisor to type a password in order to allow access to blocked content, you can set it to Level 0 which means they won't be able to go to any site that has more than "offensive slang" lol and in order to access the blocked sites the supervisor can enter the password.

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
would it keep him out of his e-mail too ???

guess i could Add yahoo as a restricted site. that would keep him from his email

Edited by retrac, 25 May 2005 - 01:49 AM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
If you know the site where his e-mail is, you can block it if you really wanted to...

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
lol just thought of that ... will content advisor keep people out of the security tab where you "restrict" certain websites( in tools> IE options

??

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I had already posted before I saw your edit :tazz:

If you don't know already, you can get to content advisor, by going to Tools > Internet Options - click on the "Content" tab, then click "Enable" under content advisor then set it up however you want.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Of that, I am not quite sure. There should be an option in content advisor that allows you to set restrictions on specific sites and would need a password to access it, but you'll just have to play around with it to find out!

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
cool im gonna mess around with it see how good it works hehehe LOL

Thanks again for the help with that gendel32.exe Im gonna be talkin to ya soon..

hadnt forgot

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
You're welcome! I'm going to go ahead and close this one since it's been resolved. Just PM me to let me know when you plan to post any more logs for computers lol :tazz:

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
works been a lil stressful lately...

Edited by retrac, 25 May 2005 - 02:00 AM.