Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Monitors on vista

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I have two monitors, one an acer 20 inch and the other a dell 19 inch.i am running vista 32-bit with 3 gb of ram. i am using an onbaord Radeon 3300 HD, along with a graphics card that i took out of machine runnung XP media center edition. I dont know what kind it is, but windows found/uses a radeon x300/x550/x1050 series driver. I know there are many things that could make this not work, especially since i dont even know what type of graphics card the second one is, but it does work. both monitors come on, and i even changed it to where the second monitor is used as an extended desktop. but once i actually start using both of them (dragging windows over to the other screen) one cuts off, then the next, and the only way to get them to show a picture again is to manually restart the computer. Any ideas of what the problem is?
Thanks

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You can't use on-board video and video card at the same time. Normally, video card should disable on-board video, but make sure it did (check in BIOS).

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
It did disable the onboard the first time i plugged it in,l but i went into the bios and changed back, because my onboard was nicer. and actually yesterday it was working fine, but then my video card(the onboard one) updated itself through Steam (an online gaming service that is amazing) and now the other monitor wont even be picked up off the old graphics card, so i guess i should buy a addon graphics card to take the place of both?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
That would be probably the best for you :D