Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual monitor problem

• Please log in to reply

Barney321

Barney321

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a computer I built that has a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 video card in it which allows me to connect two monitors to my computer. I had these monitors connected to my old computer and could open a web page on each one so I had two seperate web pages open. I think that when the old one was set up the second monitor was made an extended display.
Now when I open a web page the same page comes up on both monitors. How can I get these two monitors to display different web pages like the old one?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Open two instances of your browser. Move one browser window to the 2nd monitor.

Barney321

Barney321

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That didn't work. No matter what I do the same page comes up on both monitors. On the old computer, when I opened a web page it only showed up on one monitor and the other monitor was just blank until I did like you say, opened a second web page and moved it over to the other monitor. With this one as soon as the page is opened it appears on both monitors. If I open a second web page, that page shows up on both monitors. Is there a setting somewhere that has to be changed?

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
by using the software provided with your video card or display driver change from mirrored display to extended display

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on your desktop, choose properties, then go to the settings tab, click on the second monitor in the window and then put a checkmark in the "attach" box, then press apply and ok.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I think that when the old one was set up the second monitor was made an extended display.

That's what you want - to "extend" the desktop across the two monitors. You need to make sure the Catalyst Control Center is set for extended display. You might check the Sapphire website for the latest drivers for your card too. There are several versions of the 5770 so make sure you select the right one for your card, and for your specific OS.

Also, you might look at UltraMon. It is not free, but it is the best multi-monitor utility program out there, IMO.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

you might look at UltraMon. It is not free, but it is the best multi-monitor utility program out there, IMO.

Nothing better :)

Barney321

Barney321

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you all. It is working properly now. The computer sees both monitors where before it saw only one, but I didn't have both connected to the video card. I had one connected to the video card and one connected to the connection on the motherboard.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That would explain :)