Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Having Trouble reinstalling windows XP

• Please log in to reply

maddogg5150

maddogg5150

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I Was having troubly booting my computer possibly do to a virus. So I backed up my files and decided to reinstall Windows XP from a disk. During Installation I have been having a problem where there is an error and it says. ulib.dll not copied I can skip that or retry. If I retry it just says the same thing again. If I skip it says a different file wasn't copied and then if I skip that the computer crashes. I think my harddrive has pretty much been wiped do to this, and Im stuck. Could be a harddrive problem or a problem with my windows xp disk. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
in normal mode before you try to reformat do this http://pcsupport.abo...he-easy-way.htm
after you finish then you should be able to reformat

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Are you trying clean install (formatting and installing XP)? If not, please do, applying full format (not quick). If the problem persist then usually it is the result of faulty RAM, hard disk or CD.

To test the RAM download memtest from my links below, create a bootable CD and run the program. Run at least one full pass. There shouldn't be any errors (red lines).

To test the hard disk find out the maker by pulling the disk out. Download the appropriate test utility from here, create a bootable CD and run a complete test.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Your symptoms is a ram problem after windows has formated your HD it puts the files needed on your ram before starting the installation, when you are getting the message files could not be copied it is on your ram that it cannot be copied to.

maddogg5150

maddogg5150

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the help. It sounds like a RAM problem. Im going to run memtest and then probably go buy some new RAM. Hopefully this solves my issues.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
We are always curious about the end result. Please let us know. Other people with similar problems may benefit too.

Thanks.

maddogg5150

maddogg5150

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Took out my RAM cleaned it up and put it back in. Tried to reinstall XP and it worked. Thanks for the help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.