Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer.msi

• Please log in to reply

Hero Link

Hero Link

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...6&Product=winxp[/url]']SYMPTOMS
When you open certain programs in Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows 2000, the repair process starts for the Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer.
Back to the top
CAUSE
This behavior occurs because of an incorrect registration of the Windows Journal Viewer in the registry. Certain programs share components with Windows Journal Viewer. When you start one of those programs, the Windows Installer repair process for Windows Journal Viewer starts and tries to clean up the registration for that user's profile.
Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, permit the Windows Journal Viewer repair process to complete. If the repair succeeds, the Windows Installer dialog box only occurs one time. However, the dialog box may also appear one time for each additional user account that runs the same program on this computer.

If the repair does not complete successfully, you may receive an error message that contains a reference to a file path, and that is similar to the following error message:
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\temp\IXP001.tmp\
You may receive this error message if there is a problem with the existing installation of the Windows Journal Viewer, or a problem during the removal process. To resolve this behavior, remove the Windows Journal Viewer, and then reinstall it from the location that is mentioned in the "More Information" section of this article.

To remove Microsoft Journal Viewer, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then point to Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Change or Remove Programs.
3. Click Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer, and then click Remove.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen to remove the program.

Note You may have to restart the computer to remove any files that were in use.

Ok, I have tried this,but there is no repair option, and it comes up with this error after trying to uninstall it. "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\temp\IXP001.tmp\" being the tmp folder that contains "Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer.msi" which I don't have anywhere on my computer. Really, I think that is the only thing I need to get it uninstalled, but, I can't find it anywhere.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The folder is created temporarily then removed.

I assume you removed the program from control panel> add/remove software, and tried to download this one, and it failed:

http://www.microsoft...ls/default.mspx

Seeing as how you are logged in as the administrator account (not a good idea), what about logging in with a different user? Problem repeat?

Hero Link

Hero Link

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
No, I can't even remove it. It brings up that certain error when I try to remove it with Add/Remove Programs. It needs the Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer.msi to remove it, but it is not located anywhere on my computer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you did not answer my question...did you obtain the journal viewer from the above link?

Hero Link

Hero Link

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes, that's where I got it from. The original time I got it, it was as an update at Windows Update.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you log in on a second user account?

In the meantime, download the following

http://support.micro....com/?id=893803

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
additionally, download the following

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

I want you to, in this order....

cleanup utility, select journalviewer

install windows installer 3.1

then install the journal viewer

Hero Link

Hero Link

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sweet, I did what you said, and it installed, and works correctly now. Thanks. :tazz: