Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build questions

• Please log in to reply

Oberon75

Oberon75

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm building a new system to replace my 7-8 year old Dell. I'm not a heavy gamer, but I do play occasionally. This new rig so far is as follows:
i7-950 CPU
ASUS Sabertooth x58 mobo
LG DVD burner
LG BluRay burner
XFX XXX 650w power supply
3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1333 DDR3 SDRAM
Thermaltake CLP0554 CPU cooler
Viewsonic VX2739WM monitor
Apevia X-Alien full tower case (old case, but nothing wrong with it, put it to good use!)
Windows 7 Pro 64bit OEM

I have a few questions that can only be answered in a place like this.
From experience I know that a system runs faster if the OS is on a drive all it's own. Would it be beneficial to keep the OS on one drive, the apps on one drive and everything else (docs) on a third? Or am I just sinking an extra 50 bucks into it with no performance enhancements that way?
My other question is, can someone walk me through the hierarchy of graphic chipsets? A Nvidia 9600 is less than half the price (and nowhere near the specs!) of a 465. I realize that you can't just take them in numerical order, what's the order to follow? When a game says it needs a minimum GT 210, I would assume anything with a number higher than 210 should work, but a 5200 looks like it's inferior... hence my confusion

On a side note, can anyone tell me why they decorate the video cards with fancy pictures and graphics and LED fan boxes? it seems like the majority of these cards are going to end up in a tower, which will put all of that facing the floor, and leave you staring at the back of the card, with no extra bling on the side that you may actually see! Just curious!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

My other question is, can someone walk me through the hierarchy of graphic chipsets? A Nvidia 9600 is less than half the price (and nowhere near the specs!) of a 465. I realize that you can't just take them in numerical order, what's the order to follow? When a game says it needs a minimum GT 210, I would assume anything with a number higher than 210 should work, but a 5200 looks like it's inferior... hence my confusion

TomsHardware.com > Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart > May 2010
http://www.tomshardw...480,2621-6.html