Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Windows XP Recovery software same as Full Version?

• Please log in to reply

rainair

rainair

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Mac Pro and want to partition the hard drive and install Windows so I can boot either OS. I found Windows XP Recovery software with Service Pack 2 on Craig's list originally packaged with a PCV-RX500 series SONY computer. Do you know if recovery software is the same as a full version software? The question is, will this software install OK on my Mac?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It will not, it was made for a Sony computer and will work only on a Sony. you need an XP retail cd for your Mac.

Here are the different cd made:

OEM – Which are usually sold with the computer
Retail – Brought stand alone in stores like BestBuy, CompUSA etc..
Upgrade – To upgrade from a previous operating system
Branded – Specifically branded copies from large computer manufacturers like Dell
Action pack – Was part of the Microsoft Action Pack
Volume License – Typically used in large businesses, government and educational institutions

rainair

rainair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Very helpful. thank you so much!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the XP Recovery cds are only used to repair a already installed xp OS that is screwed up somehow...