Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Various problems

• Please log in to reply

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
No - the repair installation, going for the partioned space and opting for formatting with NTFS wiped absolutely everything off the hard drive.

It's wiped all programs, internet settings and everything else. I've had to reinstall all the drivers as well, and I've had to set up new profiles for both users.

In fact, there ended up being less on the hard drive than I originally had when I got it out of the Dell packaging a few years ago!

It doesn't matter all as long as the end result works. But I'm just struggling to know where to move the Shared Documents folders to.

Edited by Canary, 22 September 2010 - 09:32 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look in My Documents. There should already be a folder there named Shared Documents.
Just move everything you copied into that folder.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Before you do all that have you checked the original locations to see if maybe they are still there? During a Repair Installation you normally would not lose any data.
The backup i had you do is for safety only. If the files are still there then you have no need to copy everything back.

Did I do the wrong thing, by the way? I've reformatted the hard drive so I have lost everything except for the data files I backed up.

Is a repair installation and a format the same thing?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Repair would have corrected the OS without data loss.
A fresh installation would mean a format (Loss of all data) which I believe is what you did.
Sorry if I lead you in the wrong direction on this.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
No worries - the key thing is that the end result works!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Like i stated, if you click on My Documents and then inside that folder there should be a sub folder named Shared Documents. You should be able to copy everything into that folder or if inside the Shared Folder there are sub folders of each user then you can copy the data back to that user.
If not and you actually copied the user folder during backup you should be able to copy the folder or folders back in the Shared folder.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hiya,

Just to let you know that I have sorted out where all the documents need to go, and I spent last night downloading programs to get the computer back to where it was before.

All the files and data have been saved, and the only thing now is to see if I can remember exactly which programs I had. But I'm working on the basis that any program I can't remember is probably one I don't need!

Thanks so much for all your help. The bottom line is that all the problems have been fixed - and that is down to you.

Cheers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear and I will continue to monitor this topic just in case.
Congratulations. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)