Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Take OS from one computer to another

• Please log in to reply

MM9610

MM9610

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah.
I have an old computer with Windows XP and I don't use it because it's either just slow or has a LOT of viruses (I'm sure it's the latter).

What I want to do is take the OS (Windows XP) and put it on a disc or USB or something and be able to install it on my Laptop because I really like XP (as well as Windows 7 (dual boot)).

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Also I wasn't sure where to post this. ^_^

Or as an alternative, is there any way I can make the old PC faster without an uninstall or anything like that? Maybe put an antivirus on the computer and run it? I think Disk Cleanup will help a lot. I'll try that.
Let you know how it turns out lol

Ok, I have a whole new problem..... The old computer won't even turn on! It worked fine in about June/July.
I connected everything back up and it wouldn't turn on, after getting quite annoyed and banging it a few times I gave up. Any suggestions?

Edited by MM9610, 17 September 2010 - 02:40 PM.

Advertisements

MM9610

MM9610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry for all of my problems but I need help with this. :)
I think I can provide you with a photo of the wires connected to the tower thing to check if I've connected it right but to be honest, I haven't actually used an actual PC for a few years (except for June/July but it was already set up at that point) so I have been using Laptops for a few years.

Edited by MM9610, 17 September 2010 - 02:44 PM.