Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with my laptop

• Please log in to reply

canadanorth

canadanorth

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Greetings!

I've never had any problems with my Lenovo T61p laptop (Win XP OS), but this morning it started acting on its own.

First, upon startup it reports that "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem" and my wireless connection does not work anymore (I am writing this from my other laptop that is on the same network).

Then, soon after, another window pops up and the machine reports a "svchost.exe error". Until this second pop up comes, I have some control over the computer (can open e.g. Control Panel), but then everything freezes and I cannot do anything.

Please please help!

Advertisements

canadanorth

canadanorth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Removed hijackthis log.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is Spyware Guard the free programme from JavaCool or is it Spyware Guard 2008/9
When did you install it. One is OK the JavaCool, Other Spyware Guards are rogue programmes.
You will have seen from your HiJack Log that this file is missing.

- Winlogon Notify: dimsntfy - %SystemRoot%\System32\dimsntfy.dll (file missing)

Do you have an XP CD.
If so can you enter Recovery Console and run chkdsk/r

If that computer does not come with the XP CD see if F8 will allow you to boot Safe Mode. that is just Safe Mode, not with networking and report how it goes from there.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 September 2010 - 04:33 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
i have removed this comment i am sorry about thisi misunderstood macboatmaster
as for the person posting this topic you should start here

Edited by rockmilk, 18 September 2010 - 09:49 PM.

canadanorth

canadanorth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

Thank you very much for helping me. SpywareGuard that I have is by Javacool Software v. 2.2.0 so I guess it is fine. I installed it a long time ago and it has been working ok.

I do not have XP CD, but I am writing this from Safe Mode (with networking) and things look ok. The only problem is that MS Internet Explorer often redirects to unknown web sites.

Is it because of the missing file?

Thanks a lot again!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go Start, Run and type in "sfc /scannow" without colons of course.
It may well ask for the CD if it cannot repair some system files without it. However running it even without the CD is the best at this time.
Pls post back and we can then run chkdsk and if necessary proceed to the next step.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 September 2010 - 04:40 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As IE is going to unknown websites, it may well be that you have an infection.
I recommend you go to the Malware Forum, now the computer is at least booting in Safe Mode and run the Self Help checks.
If necessary you can then ask for help from an expert in the Malware forum. Please be patient as they are very busy.
Good luck.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
CanadaNorth,

Being redirected to unknown web sites is typically a sign of infection. That missing file would have nothing to do with that. Also, this is not the forum to post HJT logs. I suggest you read this topic and follow the directions there, and then post the appropriate logs in this forum. If you are declared clean by one of our malware helpers, then please return to this topic and continue with it.

Rockmilk, please do not insult the other members of this forum. That behavior is unacceptable.