Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router help

• Please log in to reply

Simondo

Simondo

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Heya.

A bit of a story behind this so I apologize! :)

We are with Virgin and we have a 20mb connection. I am wireless. We got a new router sent today because our old one was "broken". It wasn't. Its just my roommate is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY useless. With the router before this one. We had Virgin Media come around and sort some issues with it because we were experiencing bad download speeds etc. I remember them saying they changed some ports etc. After they changed the ports or whatever, the download speed did increase and it was fine.

Now however, since we have a new router. I have set it up fine etc but I'm only getting little if not any connecion at some points. It seems to max out at about 2mb but cuts out often. Despite being online on Steam etc, ideos stop downloading. Its very odd.

Please could you help me out? Virgin are completely useless and it would probably take them 1 - 2 weeks to respond to me.

Many thanks

Simon.

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Not sure what your problem is exactly are you saying you no matter where you are in your house the connection speed is only 2mb or only in certain places? When you say it cuts out are you just browsing then the web pages can't be displayed or are there any messages? Also, has this problem only started occurring since the new router and how was it before - similar problems or not? Where is your router located? Is there any wireless devices being used in the house such as wireless telephones, TV senders etc?

Please go to speedtest and check your connection speed and post back the results: http://www.speedtest.net/

Also, please check the signal strength of your wireless connection and reply with what it says:

Windows XP
netimp_fig2.jpg netimp_fig1.jpg

Vista
Signal Strength.jpg

Thanks.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi there. I get 4/5 (Very Good) signal. I used to get 8mb connection before this new router. The new router is exactly the same as the old one. The position of the router hasnt changed.

I just did another speed test and I currently get 4mb. But the connection is 20mb and I previously had way more :).
There is no other wireless signals interfering that I know of.

Thanks for your reply.

I have to go to work now so I will be back in 5 hours.

Simon.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
If your internet connection is only showing as 4mb then there could be a couple a things responsible. Firstly, the cabling leading into your house could need replacing as over time it gets worn and degraded - since your other router performed better probably not the case but its worth noting. Now there are several factors when using wireless and so the best thing to do would be to connect your computer to the router via a UTP Ethernet cable to ensure we rule out other factors before concentrating on the wireless. What download speed do you get with a wired connection?

Edited by hendaz, 18 September 2010 - 05:19 AM.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Heya. Thanks for your reply.

I get the full 20mb (and a little extra!) when on Ethernet cable. This however being a shared house meant I had to move my PC into my room therefore making it wireless. I just got back from work, booted up my PC and I have noticed something. Over the wireless icon is my tray, there is a yellow triangle with a '!' in it. Limited of no connectivity. Its definately limited alright! :) Right now I can't even stream YouTube videos.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me. I really appreiciate it.

Edited by Simondo, 18 September 2010 - 10:49 AM.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Ok thanks for that information. At least now we can be sure the problem is related to the wireless networking and nothing else. The first thing to do would be to make sure you have the latest drivers installed for whatever wireless adapter you are using. To do this you will have to determine the exact make and model of your wireless adapter and then go onto the device manufacturers website and look for the latest drivers for your computer. If your using a built-in adapter then the laptop manufacturer will probably have the latest drivers. Also, please do the following:

Go to start -> type cmd in the search box at the bottom (or click 'run' if using win. XP) -> hit enter ->type ipconfig /all -> right click and click select all -> hit enter -> paste the results back in a new post.

If you don't know the exact make and model of the network adapter don't worry just post back the results.

Thanks.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi there.

unfortunately I cant connect to the internet at all now. Not even barely. Ive downloaded some drivers but I dont think they are the problem as it was working last week. I am currently on a wireless laptop right next to the router. The internet is connected but it wont seem to download. Speedtest wont work for me so I cant test it. Ill do the ipconfig here, since it is still on the same network as my computer.

IP Address 192.168.0.102
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1

Thanks mate

Simon

Oh, erm I think your gonna say somethng about my PC being too far away from the router. However I would like to point ut it was working fine previously so I dont think range is the issue. I still think it has something to do with router ports. When Virgin sorted out a problemwe had before the engineer mentioned he changed some port settings. Cant remember exactly what but if that helps.

Cheers.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Ok to answer some of your questions:

Ive downloaded some drivers but I don't think they are the problem as it was working last week.

Drivers can be problematic like that the best thing to do is to upgrade to the latest drivers to ensure that isn't the problem. I had an issue where my internet speed dropped considerably all of a sudden and then I upgraded to the latest drivers and then my internet was better than ever - so don't underestimate the problematic nature of drivers.

Ill do the ipconfig here, since it is still on the same network as my computer.

Unless all the computers on your network are having difficulty then this is of no help - also all the information hasn't been included remember to do ipconfig /all. Is it just your wireless or more computers?

Oh, erm I think your gonna say somethng about my PC being too far away from the router. However I would like to point ut it was working fine previously so I dont think range is the issue.

I wasn't going to say range was an issue because we've already checked your signal strength and that was fine.

When Virgin sorted out a problemwe had before the engineer mentioned he changed some port settings.

In a home environment there is no port settings to change so that doesn't really help. Just wondering is your router connected to a modem or is your router and modem built-in to one device?

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Heya. Thanks for your reply!

Internet is back up on my computer. All be it INCREDIBLY slow. It feels slower than the ISDN I had years ago rofl.

I'm going to install the drivers after this post. I think I have the correct ones but I'll double check. I only had 5 minutes with my friends Laptop before he had to go.

I'll try the IP config now while I have a connection.

Results are;

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS suffix : cable.virginmedia.net
IP Address 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1

Cool about the range ;). I'm [bleep] sure nothing is interfering. Only a couple of walls. But as you said I'm getting 3/5 4/5 so it shouldnt be a problem.

The router is connected to a modem. I think the modem is alright since using an Ethernet cable from the Router I get the full 20mb connection. No loss or lag, nothing. Ah god I hate wireless! :D

Thanks again, Simon

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Just having to install .net framework for these drivers. Downloading at 35kb. Thats just a joke lol :D. Ill reply again soon. Cheers.

Advertisements

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Right I just cancelled. I noticed it was a driver detective not actual drivers. Hate those things.

I'm using a N wireless USB Network Adaptor from Belkin.

Gonna try looking for the correct drivers now but you might find them before I do so :D

Thanks

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Im having no luck finding the drivers I need =[

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
You will need to know the exact model of your wireless adapter (it should be on a sticker on the adapter itself) but here's the website see if you can find it: http://en-us-support...etwork-adapters

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I believe I have found the correct drivers. They are over 9mb and I'm downloading at 10kb and constantly disconnecting. Gonna be a while.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Ok, just make sure its the correct driver for your particular OS and network adapter - you might want to connect to your router directly to download the driver because if your internet disconnects your download will probably have to restart.