Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router help

• Please log in to reply

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I would if I could but unfortunately I cant. If it fails to download I will have to wait till tommorow and borrow my friends Laptop again, hook it up at the router just use a USB stick to transfer it. The landlord says I'm not allowed to have my PC down by the router and connected via cable because of the wires going across the floor. Its a bit stupid to be honest. But its not my rules :/

Advertisements

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I GENUINLY DO NOT BELIEVE IT JUST GOT TO 90% THEN DISCONNECTED. WHY GOD WHY.

I'm gonna have to do this tommorow. This is such a piss take. What other options are there? Cos I only bought this USB wireless thingy a short while ago and unless they have released updates within the last week which are causing it not to work I dont think its the main cause to be honest.

Sorry I'm just getting a little frustrated with this.

Thanks.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I know it is frustrating but since there are so many reasons why you could be having this issue the only real way of tackling it is to eliminate potential problems step by step until the problem is solved. Now, since you mentioned something about the ports I have had an idea that might help I suggest you follow this article and see if it makes any difference: http://www.home-netw...and-duplex.html

Remember what settings were in use before changing anything and if it has no effect then I suggest changing back to the way they were (probably auto negotiation).

Other than that upgrade to the latest drivers and see if that makes any difference.

Let me know the results of changing the speed and also updating the drivers.

Thanks.

Edited by hendaz, 20 September 2010 - 02:38 AM.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Driver updates dont seem to have worked.

And I dont seem to have those options on that guide =[

Thanks for your continued support

Simon

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Please go to a command prompt again (Start->search, or use run, and type cmd) and paste the following command: (ipconfig /all & netsh wlan show all) >%USERPROFILE%\desktop\Wireless.txt & exit To paste the command right click in the window and click paste and then hit enter. The command show execute and then close the window automatically. On you desktop you should find a new file called wireless.txt Please upload this file as an attachment.

Make sure when you copy the command it is all on one line and make sure you copy everything in bold.

Thanks.

Edited by hendaz, 21 September 2010 - 04:56 AM.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hey. I tried that. It worked in cmd but no file was created on my desktop. I looked around for it but cant find it.

Just a little note. I am connected to my wireless but in my tray bottom right there is a red X over my wireless icon. Weird. Is this significant? I've been working alot recently and I 2 days off now so I can reply faster :D

Thanks

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
OK, strange it worked for me. Try a search for a file called wireless.txt If that doesn't work try it this time: (ipconfig /all & netsh wlan show all) >C:\Wireless.txt & exit That will place the file in your c:\ drive so just double click your hard drive when in my computer and you should find it. A red X generally means your wireless network has been disabled.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Ok my net disconnected and now the red symbol has gone after reconnecting. >.<

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Erm i cant find the upload thing rofl

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Are you using the full editor?

Advertisements

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
done

Attached Files

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Oh the full command didn't work but I guess that's because your using windows xp and I don't think the command is supported so that's my fault really I should have checked. Anyway, without that info I'm going to ask you to install a program which will allow you to fully see what is going in with your wireless. Please download this program and let me know when you have it installed: http://www.metageek....oducts/inssider

Thanks.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
installing .netframework

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Right I've installed .net and restarted my PC. Its still asking for .net to be installed before I can run this other program.

=[ Nothing seems to want to work for me haha!

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Try this program instead: http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/