Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Router help

• Please log in to reply

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Choose the top one not ministumbler

Advertisements

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Done. Ill try figure out running it now but post if you want specifics.

Thanks mate, really appreciate your time and patience.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Yeah I've no clue what your after lol :D

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Yeah I've no clue what your after lol :D

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Find your network amongst the list (if there's more than one) and tell me what it says under signal+. Also, let me know how many networks appear in the list and if any are using the same channel as you (if so how many).

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Your program should look like this if it is setup correctly: Posted Image

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
5 Connections. None in the same channel as me. I'm 5*. My signal is roughly -66

Net just died for a good couple of minutes. "Up" again now. And again. This is really frustrating its just disconnecting all the time =[.

Late reply. Net went down for a long time

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hmm -66 isn't brilliant (the closer to 0 the better your connection is (mine is reading -27)). But it shouldn't affect your internet too much as you still have enough speed for internet communications it just means communicating with local computers on your network will be slower than it could be. Please list the five channels that are in use.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
6, 6, 1, 11 and mine 5*. It might well not be fantastic but it worked fine before =[

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
When I open this program it switches my connection from windows XP to the Belkin one.

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

When I open this program it switches my connection from windows XP to the Belkin one.

Not sure what this means your adapter is a Belkin adapter so that is what your using.

Anyway, your using channel 5 and two other networks are using channel 6 this is an issue. Since these channels all overlap it means all three networks are interfering with each other. This should be changed to improve performance. If you want an analogy its the equivalent of having three different stereo's all playing different CD's in one room - sure you'll be to hear the different songs but it won't be easy. I suggest you change the channel to either 1 or 11. In reality you may have channels 1-11 but only channels 1,6 and 11 do not overlap so these are you options. Have a look at the networks with channels 1 and 11 and pick the channel that has the worst signal strength (closest to 100). Therefore, you'll have the same channel as someone else but it will be the furthest away so it shouldn't matter.

Once you have the channel you will have to change the settings on your router to reflect whatever channel you choose. You will need to access the router page to do this. How you do this varies from router to router but the router guide should assist I suggest you probably can get there by typing 192.168.0.1 in your web browser.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi. I cant access the router wirelessly unfortunately. No passwords or usernames seem to work. It does however work when I'm phyisically connected to the router via Ethernet.

When I said about switching from XP to Belkin I meant that I use the Windows Software to configure my network settings. But when I load that program up. It switches over to the Belkin Software to configure my wireless settings. Therefore briefly disconnecting me. I've no idea why it does that.

Those channels you mentioned. Are they also called Ports? The number refences seem familar to what the bloke from Virgin explained.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I'm going to have to get some sleep now. I've got a couple of important things to do in the morning. If you would be so kind to leave and last words of wisdom and or a guide on how to properly change channel settings that would be great.

Thanks again for your help and I'll update you tommorow.

Simon

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I can't help too much on the router front since there are so many different routers available and each one does things slightly differently. Since, I can't see the router page I can't really say but I suggest you review whatever documentation came with the router.

I found the rest of this information from Virgin Media so it may help:

When talking about wireless networking, a channel is simply another term for the frequency at which your wireless router broadcasts its signal. Wireless routers we supply operate are set as a default to channel 6.

If other nearby wireless networks operate on the same or similar channel to yours, interference can decrease the performance of your wireless network. If you change your router's channel, performance may improve.
Choosing the right channel

Although your computer is often able to 'see' other nearby wireless networks, your built-in wireless networking software will not inform you of the channels those networks are using. So how can you choose which channel to use for your own wireless network? To help with this you could install some separate 'site survey'. But it's easier to experiment with one of the three recommended channels below.

Because each channel's frequency overlaps with the frequencies of its neighbouring channels, it’s best to choose channels that are spaced apart. The best channels to choose from are usually 1, 6 (the default for our routers) or 11 – as these channels don’t overlap with each other at all.

Here are the details for our recommended channels:

* Channel 1: 2399.5 MHz to 2424.5 MHz
* Channel 6 (default): 2424.5 MHz to 2449.5 MHz
* Channel 11: 2449.5 MHz to 2474.5 MHz

If your router is configured to select a channel automatically, it should do a good job of choosing a channel with the least interference.
Changing the channel on a D-Link wireless router

1. Launch the wireless router's administration interface. The settings required to do this can be found on the underside of the router.
2. Click Setup at the top of the screen.
3. Click Wireless Setup on the left of the screen.
4. If it is ticked already, untick Enable Auto Channel Selection.
5. Select a value in the Wireless Channel dropdown menu (use one of the recommended channels above).
6. Apply the settings.
7. Either click the Reboot button on the left of the screen or turn your wireless router off and on again.

When the wireless router restarts, it will operate on the new channel.
Changing the channel on a NETGEAR wireless router

1. Launch the wireless router's administration interface. The settings required to do this can be found on the underside of the router.
2. In the Setup section, click Wireless Settings.
3. Change the Channel dropdown menu from Auto to your desired channel number (use one of the recommended channels above).
4. Apply the settings.
5. Turn your wireless router off and on again.

When the wireless router restarts, it will operate on the new channel.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Switched channels. No positive effect. I can no longer get any form of connecion in my room. The laptop im on now iis literally right next to the router and only gets 7mb out of 20mb.

I switched to channel 1.