Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE sata

• Please log in to reply

ziggy919

ziggy919

• Pip
  • 3 posts
What is the difference between IDE and SATA? Are hardware units such as dvd rom interchangeable? I have a dell xps400 and my device says it is IDE but when I went to a website to replace my unit it said they were sata. I'm confused. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, your dvd rom is IDE and your hard drive / drives are SATA.. this link might help.

http://www.support.d...s.htm#wp1058068

ziggy919

ziggy919

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you. Now for the hard part. My drive is a sony ddu1615 DVD ROM. It will read and play a cd and a commercial dvd. It will not recognize a dvd made on the computer the drive is installed in. It would at one time read everything. The computer has crashed a couple of times and we had to do a Dell restore which took it back to the beginning. Not sure if this has anything to do with my problem. I went to dell support and downloaded the latest firmware for the drive but that did not solve the problem. Dell XPS 400 running windows XP Media Edition. Any ideas?

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Thank you. Now for the hard part. My drive is a sony ddu1615 DVD ROM. It will read and play a cd and a commercial dvd. It will not recognize a dvd made on the computer the drive is installed in. It would at one time read everything. The computer has crashed a couple of times and we had to do a Dell restore which took it back to the beginning. Not sure if this has anything to do with my problem. I went to dell support and downloaded the latest firmware for the drive but that did not solve the problem. Dell XPS 400 running windows XP Media Edition. Any ideas?

Can you try the DVD(disk) that does not work in another computer to see if it can be read then. If that particular disk still cannot be read then I would think it was an issue in the burn process when that disk was created. When that disk was burned did you verify after writing and close it so not a multisession disk?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi ziggy919,
Before you replace the drive try another brand of blank disk to burn to.
Sometimes a drive will not work with a certain brand or even a certain
batch of disks, strange but true.

ziggy919

ziggy919

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an external dvd drive connected and that drive will read the disc.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The common factor here is the disks you are burning to, at least try burning to another brand of disk and see if the drive will read it, if it doesn`t it may suggest the drive is failing but if it does it could just mean the drive is temperamental.
See this link which mentions drives not liking certain brands of disks http://www.geekstogo...ect-blank-dvds/

GR8GUY

GR8GUY

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi i hope you can advise me on this. .I want to connect the seagate hard drive below via a usb lead to my laptop to retrieve old files. What connector do I need ?

I have the following connector but the hard drive doesnt appear on my laptop.I cannot see any jumpers or standalone options on the hard drive and dont know if im using wrong lead or doing something wrong.

ESYNiC Dual USB to SATA Serial ATA 15+7 22P Converter Adaptor Adapter Cable For Laptop Exteral 2.5" Hard Drive HDD SSD + Protective Case

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB UDMA/100 7200RPM 2MB IDE Hard Drive

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi i hope you can advise me on this. .I want to connect the seagate hard drive below via a usb lead to my laptop to retrieve old files. What connector do I need ?

I have the following connector but the hard drive doesnt appear on my laptop.I cannot see any jumpers or standalone options on the hard drive and dont know if im using wrong lead or doing something wrong.

ESYNiC Dual USB to SATA Serial ATA 15+7 22P Converter Adaptor Adapter Cable For Laptop Exteral 2.5" Hard Drive HDD SSD + Protective Case

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB UDMA/100 7200RPM 2MB IDE Hard Drive

Your Amazon question was partially answered here

Best tool for the job would be an example such as the Bipra USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter Kit with Power Adapter for 2.5/3.5/5.25 inch SATA or IDE Drive but can I ask if you are 100% certain that the HDD that you are trying to access data on is actually working.