Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing up help

• Please log in to reply

Comfortbo

Comfortbo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer is about 4 to 5 years old for the last 4 days it's been freezing on me at start up or 5 to 10 minutes when loged on. I formated and no change "when doing this it was also freezing" (can it be my motherboard or hard drive thats on the way out?) I've never had problems with my computer before nothing has been changed or no new hardware added.

Running: Vista
Motherboard is : Asus A8N-SLI SE / Series socket939
Harddrive is : Maxtor / model 6v250f0
250gb / SATA 3.0 gb hdd / 3.5series

Thank you very much for the help

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Comfortbo :)
You need to provide more info on your computer, is it a custom build or a brand name such as Dell, HP etc and if it is provide the model name or number also include any add on card details (video, sound, network etc) if you don`t know these details you can use this to find them http://www.piriform.com/speccy it does not provide psu details, do you know what brand and model your psu is?
Download everest (free) home edition from here http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/
Open it.
1: In left panel expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so your temps and voltages can be checked.
Then download and run speedfan from here http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Again post a screenshot

Comfortbo

Comfortbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help :) I don't know how I missed it my cpu fan pin fell out so it was not working properly so it was heating up it was making it freeze. I fixed the problem now no more freezing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Congratulations on resolving the issue yourself, I am happy you got it sorted :)
I see it was as the symptoms suggested, an overheating issue, for future reference heat trapping dust can also cause this.
Thank you not only for using GTG and allowing me to assist, but for also posting the solution so that others may learn from it :) :)