Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop not recognizing harddrive

• Please log in to reply

snipes040

snipes040

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
so I have an HP laptop and when I was taking out the harddrive one of the pins connected to the motherboard broke off. The laptop will obviously not detect the harddrive at all now so what are my options now? Can I just replace that part of the mobo or because it's a laptop do I have to replace the whole freaking mobo?

thanks

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
I'm not familiar with your model HP, but normally, the pins are on the hard drive, not on the motherboard. It well may be that HP has some sort of adapter interface that attaches to the hard drive and turns it into a female connector so it can mate with male pins on the motherboard... I don't know. How's about posting you HP model number?

If it is indeed just a connector pin on the motherboard, then a repair shop can probably replace the affected connector. It may run you a pretty penny... depends on the shop. Or you can attempt the repair yourself if you can get the connector and are either good with this kind of repair, or brave enough to do it. The only other resort is to replace the motherboard as the connector is probably integrated (soldered) into it.

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
it is an hp compaq 6510b laptop. The black plastic piece that covers the pins on the motherboard and connects the hard drive also broke off as well as one pin. I am assuming there is no way to fix this?... Could I possibly solder the pin back and glue the plastic piece back on?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Watching this VIDEO, it would seem difficult to break the motherboard connector while replacing the drive, but I guess it's possible. At this point, with a broken pin and connector, you have nothing to lose by trying to repair it yourself... just make sure you use a soldering iron that doesn't get too hot, and use a small soldering tip... you don't want to overheat the mother board. I don't know exactly where/how the pin broke, but obviously you would need to solder it "end to end" to keep the pin the same length. However, "end to end" soldering doesn't have much strength. You need to strengthen the connection by bridging the pin somehow, either with solder, or with something else. All you need is for it to work, so use your imagination. You might even be able to use a longer piece of metal, like a small paper clip (un-chromed type so solder will take), cut it to a little longer length than what you need and solder it so you have some overlapping to give it strength. Of course, this overlap may alter how the plastic piece will fit over the pin when you try to glue it back on, and you would have to address that too.

If you're not comfortable with doing the repair yourself, you should take it into a shop or have someone who is adept at this kind of thing fix it for you. It shouldn't be that difficult a repair if you take your time and go slow. That's about all you can do unless you want to replace the entire motherboard. Ebay has some motherboards that fit your laptop, but you take your chances whenever shopping there.

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ok well thanks a lot for the help. the weird thing is, is that when I took the hard drive out I only busted the black plastic piece(the connector/adapter or whatever it's called. I then plug the hard drive in without the plastic piece and it didn't recognize it.

Now for me to repair it I would have to solder the pin back on and then glue the plastic adapter/connector back onto the motherboard?

Again thanks a lot for your help I appreciate it.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If it were me, I would do whatever it takes to fix it. Of course, I do this kind of stuff all the time and I have to right tools... ie, low wattage soldering iron, extra stuff lying around that I can cannibalize.

You do need to solder the pin back on, but whether or not you put the plastic back on is up to you. As long as you can connect the hard drive and it works, that's all that matters. Right? Do you care if the plastic is there?

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
No I really don't care about the plastic on The pin .. As long as the pin stays on and the laptop can recognize the drive ... I have a low watt, small tip soldering iron so I have the tools I'm just not sure it'll work but I will for sure give it a try and let u know how it goes.

Thanks a lot for your help I will reply back soon with the news

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Best advice... take it slow and easy... don't rush and you'll do a great job! Good luck!