Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Audio on my machine after reformatting

• Please log in to reply

Kerry1

Kerry1

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I recently had a virus on my machine and after reformatting, a geekstogo representative was kind enough to assist with cleaning it off my machine. However, since i originally reformatted my machine, everytime I play any audio file, it makes a popping/crackling sound that it did not have before. I have not synced my iPod since the virus and all of the songs are clear as a bell, but the ones from iTunes (which were the same songs) on my hard drive are distorted.

I believe it could be a driver issue, but when i choose to update my drivers, windows states that my drivers are up to date.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kerry

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The crackling sound is usually caused because the machine is using either a generic driver or the wrong driver.
Your best bet would be to go to the website of the company who made the motherboard or the computer and get a new audio driver from there. That should sort the issue out.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If it is an onboard sound controler get the drivers from your motherboard manufacturer (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI ect) or from your your PC model manufacturer (Dell, HP, ACER ect).

If it is an addon soundcard (on PCI slot) then go the the manufacturer of your card (Creative SB, Yamaha ect).

Kerry1

Kerry1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for helping me,

I went to the manufacturer's website and updated the audio driver associated with my machine but the crackled sounds are still there.
I have also posted a message on a forum @ the manufacturer's website to see if they could help me out as well.

Is there anything else this could be off the tops of your head? could it be any other drivers causing interference?

Kerry

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With working on the system have you checked the connections from speakers to your system?
Sometimes they will come loose.

Kerry1

Kerry1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello,

Yes i checked the wires and have even tried plugging headphones into the audio jack of the computer and still get the distorted noise in the headphones.

Kerry

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
  • (for Windows XP users)
  • Please click Start and click Run
    (for Windows Vista and 7 users)
  • Please click Start and select the white text box.
  • Type: devmgmt.msc and hit Enter
  • Look for any entries with a Yellow Exclamation Mark or Red X's

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply.
This will help us see what you are seeing and maybe find something else wrong.

Kerry1

Kerry1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Here are all the devices on my computer.

There are not any red x's or yellow exclamations on any of them.

Attached Thumbnails

• Devices1.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The drivers seem to be all intact so we must be looking at the hardware itself.
It could be a problem with the audio chips it self, the connection on the motherboard or the speakers.
I know you said you connected headphones but did you plug them into the headphone jack or into the speaker jack?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
What is the brand name and model of your PC or the details on your motherbaord?

Advertisements

Kerry1

Kerry1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I had plugged the headphones into the speaker jack, and my computer is an HP Compaq Presario SR1614X.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds to me like a faulty soundcard. Unless Alzeimer has another step which looks like the uninstall of old driver and install of new up to date driver, you may have to replace the sound with a new sound card.

Kerry1

Kerry1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok, thanks for the help everyone! I appreciate it!

Kerry1

Kerry1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
One other issue. It looks as if I have an onboard/integrated sound card. Is that going to be a problem if i go out and buy a new one?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I went to the Compaq website for your PC model and in the driver download they have two Drivers for your soundcard

One is under ORIGINAL DRIVERS (6) and is dated 2005-10-13 , Version:5.10.0.5840

the other in under DRIVER - AUDIO (1) and is dated 2005-10-11 , Version:5.10.0.5910 and in the description this is what they say Realtek AC'97 audio driver update resolves an audio noise issue.

I do not know which one you installed.

If I was you I would install the original drivers first and then install the update.

Hope this will solve your problem.