Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Linksys router settings configuration

• Please log in to reply

lordelwood0

lordelwood0

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Last Thursday our modem crashed, we have gotten a new one but now our router wont work. I've gone in and set the modem up correctly to our providers standards. I have made it to the linksys setup page and feel lost looking at the settings. please help...Thank you

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
What is the routers make and model? - Have you followed the guide?

lordelwood0

lordelwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
its a linksys wrt54gl, i have an installation CD, and followed it, but nothing really happened, just told me how to plug it in.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
If all you did is change the modem then you shouldn't really have to change any settings on your router. According to the manual After setting up the Router with the Setup Wizard (located on the CD-ROM), the Router will be ready for use. However, if you’d like to change its advanced settings, use the Router’s web-based utility.. Unless, you know what your doing I suggest you leave the advanced features well alone because looking at the manual it has quite a lot of features that are too advanced for the average user. Are you sure the problem is with your router? What do the lights look like on the router? I will be happy to help but I can't explain the full router configuration because there are just so many options. Let me know what the router lights look like and what happens when you try to connect to the internet.

Thanks.

lordelwood0

lordelwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello Hendaz. well the good lord behold i had the wrong CD in when i ran the wizard, an older version for a different router, so i think its working now. But i was wondering, i do have xbox live, and it always says something about not having a open NAT, do you know what this is?

Edited by lordelwood0, 18 September 2010 - 05:18 PM.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Well glad to hear its working now. Yes, NAT is a feature of your router that basically acts as a firewall for your network. This feature ensures that "the bad guys" on the internet can't access your computer(s). Now, this feature is brilliant for protecting your computers but it is not really necessary for your xbox as you want to connect to other people to have a good xbox experience. Now, depending on what your NAT reads on your xbox depends on how restricted your being (OPEN,MODERATE,STRICT). Now, if your playing xbox live it wont affect the game quality at all it just means you can't play with certain people. Xbox say "NAT problems do not affect game play speed. A NAT warning affects the ability to connect and communicate with other players. " Now if you want help opening your NAT just let me know - it will enable you to have a better experience as you won't be booted from playing certain games as you can't connect. However, if you don't use xbox live then all this is not really applicable.

Thanks.

lordelwood0

lordelwood0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok, thanks, i do use Xbox live, and i know that there are some people i cant join a party with or play in a game with them, so yes please, i would like it if you could help me. (sorry about the late reply, our new modem came in, and just got around to installing it)

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Ok, well basically you need to open your router up to let your xbox live traffic to get through. In your case you have three options (I suggest you work your way down the list if option 1 doesn't work fully move to option 2 but if it works no need to move further through the list):

1. Port Triggering
2. Port Forwarding
3. Put xbox into DMZ

The full details of ports needing opening is available from here: http://support.xbox....79000&lcid=1033

1.Port triggering: For this option you need to go into your router configuration page then go into Applications & Gaming > Port Triggering. The details of which ports you need to forward are in the link above. Also, here is a youtube video which might explain things more:

2. Port Forwarding: You will need to setup your xbox settings manually so that its IP address doesn't change and then go into your router and go into Applications & Gaming > Port Range Forward. Forward the range of ports above to the IP address of your xbox. Full guide here: http://rogerdickeyjr...warding-part-2/

3. If the other two options don't work let me know and I'll explain using a DMZ otherwise I'm just wasting my time. :D

Hope this helps.