Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying parts for computer, need some help

• Please log in to reply

The Nerd

The Nerd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings

I am planning on buying some parts to finish a computer i am using, my brother has a very nice HAF case what he is kindly giving me, since it is such a nice case i thought id fork out on some high tec parts for it, But i am really nervous about buying these parts, i want to make sure with the pros before i buy one. I will be getting the MSI Big Bang X Power Intel X58 (Socket 1366) Motherboard, the "OC Genie" button sounds nice for a person who doesnt know how to overclock like me, heres a quote from the website "Push to overclock in 1 second. MSI's original invention, a fully automatic, smart overclocking chip. It will automatically detect the optimal settings for your individual system and overclock it at the touch of a button!". it will also have two MSI GeForce GTX 460 HAWK 1GB DDR5 graphic cards on it. Since these are alot of money, i just want to make sure my other parts are fully useable with them. I will be getting a OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Modular Power Supply to power them and Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600C7D RAM with Intel Core i7 950 3.06Ghz (Nehalem). It will use Windows 7 operating system, but im worried about hackers, since i also enjoy World of Warcraft i really want to be safe, my old computer was hacked and i hear it happens quite alot so im wondering what anti-virus to buy to keep my investment safe. Also, i will need some cooling, im thinking about a Corsair H50 Liquid CPU for the CPU to keep it cool.

Ok, I know its kinda a long thread but i really need some information, this is really costs alot of money and i want to be safe and make sure every part works with eachother.

Heres alittle list of the parts i will be buying:

MSI GeForce GTX 460 HAWK 1GB DDR5 Dual DVI HDMI PCI Express (2, SLI)

Corsair H50 Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600C7D

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Modular Power Supply

Intel Core i7 950 3.06Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)

MSI Big Bang X Power Intel X58 (Socket 1366) Motherboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit DVD - OEM

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 16MB (2)

Anything else i need to make a computer work?

I already have the case and DVD drive

Hope for a reply... I hope you guys can help a nervous guy like me :)

Advertisements