Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

attacks from remote IPs

• Please log in to reply

mezigues

mezigues

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
hey all

First, note that my computer is running a fresh (6 days old) win 7 with it's firewall and windows defender active and that both malewarebyte and avira antivir report 0 infected files
GMER reports 0 rootkits
Also, the comp is on a private network along with 2 others, and none of them receives any attacks (they run the security tools)

ok, so about an hour ago, malwarebyte's resident agent warned me that an IP was trying to connect to my comp and blocked it (an Ip from dynamic.saudi.net.sa)
like 1 minute later, another notification from the same attempt from the same IP

a few minutes later, in like half a minute I received a wave of like 10 similar attacks from various IP (50% of them from dynamic.saudi.net.sa and the rest from china and russia and a seedbox in netherlands)
malwarebyte blocked them all

like 10 minutes later, another wave, from different IPs but all from similar domains

nothing since: looks like he gave up on me (I re-scanned and found nothing so I doubt he was successful)

still, there are a few things I don't understand:
- how did they manage to find this computer considering it's behind a router? (and clean)
- how come 7's firewall didn't see, block or warn anything?
- 7's firewall can block IP ranges, but it doesn't seem to know how to block by domain name: is there a way to do so? (those IP ranges are too wide and spread to be blocked by IP ranges)

is there anything I can do to increase my security level on this comp?

thanks

Edited by mezigues, 18 September 2010 - 10:59 PM.

Advertisements