Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to make USB ports to work again?

• Please log in to reply

mraskin

mraskin

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I lost all the USB ports on my Toshiba Satellite M60-BK300E laptop. In the Device Manager all 5 USB Controllers have the yellow exclamation sign. In the Properties in the Device status it says :
"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

When I did uninstall to all 5 USB drivers and reboot the Windows I got 10 popup messages one after another telling that :
"New hardware found".
"Intel® 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658".
"New hardware found".
"Intel® 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659".
"New hardware found".
"Intel® 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A".
"New hardware found".
"Intel® 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B".
"New hardware found".
"Intel® 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C".

But when I did look at the Device Manager all 5 USB Controllers have the same yellow exclamation sign and in the Properties/Device status it stil says :
"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Any idea how to make these USBs to work?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi mraskin sorry to hear you are having USB issues.
Have you checked in the BIOS to see if the USB ports are enabled?
Do you know how to get into the BIOS to check if they are enabled?
Below is an explanation of error code 41 and possible solutions should you need them;
Code 41
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
Recommended resolution

This problem occurs if you install a driver for a non-Plug and Play device, but Windows cannot find the device. Here are some things that you can try to resolve this problem.

If the Troubleshooting Wizard does not resolve the problem, do one of the following:
If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, connect the device, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver.
If the hardware was not removed, the driver files might be obsolete. In this case, update the driver from Device Manager. In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.
If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, you may have to install a newer version of the driver. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware wizard. Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type hdwwiz.cpl.
Good luck and let us know how it works out or if you require further assistance.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I didn't check in the BIOS but in the Device Manager/Properties for each USB Connector in says "USB Enabled".
I've tried all the Troubleshooting technics, doesn't help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Two things I suggest then are 1st on boot up go into BIOS and make sure that the USBs are enabled there, if they are as you have already installed the drivers for the USBs I would un-install the USBs>re-boot and let the hardware wizard detect and install the USBs for you, hopefully this will resolve the issue.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I did check in the BIOS - USB was enabled.
I did uninstall to all 5 USB drivers and reboot the Windows I got 10 popup messages one after another telling that :
"New hardware found".
"New hardware found".
"New hardware found".
"New hardware found".
"New hardware found".

I did look at the Device Manager all 5 USB Controllers still have the same yellow exclamation sign and in the Properties/Device status it stil says :
:D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I have found this recommended fix via google which worked for most of the people affected by it;
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Another thing that was suggested was checking in the BIOS that the USBs are set to 1.0/2.0 so the installed drivers will work with either the 1.0 or 2.0 connection, I would check this before doing anything else.
Causes for the issue that I have found were virus/trojan infection and SP2 to SP3 upgrades.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
My causes for this issue is the SP3 upgrade.

Ok, first I did check the BIOS. Apperantly my PhoenixBIOS doesn't show any option for the 1.0 or 2.0 connection. All it shows in the Advanced tab:
"Legacy USB Support - enabled"
So I went for the plan B, i.e. deleted UpperFilters and LowerFilters in the key registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Then reboted the laptop. I did look at the Device Manager and again all 5 USB Controllers have the same yellow exclamation sign and in the Properties/Device status it still says :
Again I did uninstall to all 5 USB drivers and rebooted the Windows. And again I got the same 10 popup messages one after another telling that:
"New hardware found".
"New hardware found".
"New hardware found".
"New hardware found".
"New hardware found".

When Windows completely loaded, I looked at the Device Manager and no change, i.e. the same yellow exclamation sign and in the Properties/Device status it still says :
"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41) :D

Please let me know what else is possible to try ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Im running out of suggestions here Im afraid :D
All I can think of at the moment is to check windows to see if any updates have been missed and as a last resort un-install SP3 and then re-install it.
I will keep looking for a software soloution for the issue but if the above does not work it may possibly point to a hardware problem but hopefully not.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I end up using the Toshiba's Recovery CD. ;)
All now like it was when I just purchased the laptop and the USBs are working fine ;) .
Thanks to all who tried to help. :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Congratulations on resolving your USB issues and thank you for posting the solution :D