Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get my powerdvd to run my movie

• Please log in to reply

addie1

addie1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey just recently upgraded some of my programs like my XP to sp3. I picked up windows media player 11. I also dumped "Dell Experience" to make room. I have Cyberlinks Power dvd player...the player loads okay but when I try to start the movie it won't play. Nothing will. The screen is black. What's up anybody? THANKS -Addie

Advertisements

ParagonGeek

ParagonGeek

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Try installing K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 6.40 and then restart your machine. Let me know how it goes.

addie1

addie1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well thanks paragongeek! But why do I have to do that now? Don't I have to buy that pack? I am leary of installing "free" codec packs...been warned away from doing so by microsoft. Any other ideas? Thanks! :D

ParagonGeek

ParagonGeek

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
No, you don't have to buy the codec pack. I've been using K-lite for years. You're on your own if you want to 'buy' something that's free from MS.

addie1

addie1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry for not getting back sooner Paragon! Didn't mean to offend. I guess my query should have been why did my powerdvd suddenly stop working? To further explain I had a virus for about three days that kept sending a window saying "you are missing a microsoft codec" and then at the bottom a place to click to fix. It was someone trying to sell me a codec pack for 9.99. And I knew it was a virus b/c it was eventually permeating my home page etc and taking over my mouse and the only way out of the window was to re-start!! Over and over and over for three days and nights. But I didn't give in- but instead Norton finally got rid of it and my programs are running fine except for my dvd player.

So that's where the apprehension was coming from. Could you tell me more about K- lite? Thanks so much! -A :D

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
some key questions haven't been asked of yet. What movie are you trying to watch? were you able to watch this before? is this movie on factory media or a download?

addie1

addie1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi starjax!

Yes the movie was a blockbuster vendor movie called "Abandoned". It worked fine on my girlfriend's laptop and she also has cyberlink. So I tried it again on mine and nothing. The player loads up and tells me it's starting and then nothing happens but a black screen. I have the installation disk for powerdvd and un-installed and re-installed it but still no action. Hm right? :D

ParagonGeek

ParagonGeek

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
removed content

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Paragon, quit pushing klite. while an excellent codec pack, it isn't a proper solution for this issue.

It may not be a software issue. I recommend vlc player from videolan.org. it is an open source, free dvd player. Small and simple. If it doesn't play that dvd, then you may have issues with your dvd drive reading some discs.

ParagonGeek

ParagonGeek

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
starjax, he had asked for more information on the software. I gave it to him.

.... Could you tell me more about K- lite? Thanks so much! -A :D

Censorship isn't something I believe in. By deleting my post you show your complete disregard for free speech.

Edited by ParagonGeek, 08 October 2010 - 10:26 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

To further explain I had a virus for about three days that kept sending a window saying "you are missing a microsoft codec" and then at the bottom a place to click to fix. It was someone trying to sell me a codec pack for 9.99. And I knew it was a virus b/c it was eventually permeating my home page etc and taking over my mouse and the only way out of the window was to re-start!! Over and over and over for three days and nights. But I didn't give in- but instead Norton finally got rid of it and my programs are running fine except for my dvd player.

:D

ParagonGeek

ParagonGeek

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Paragon, quit pushing klite...

It may not be a software issue... I recommend vlc player from videolan.org...

Not a software issue and yet you are recommending another software product?

He also said he was missing a codec, which would explain the problem.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
There are a couple of solutions available.

K-lite codec pack:
http://www.free-code..._codec_pack.htm
the link takes you to the download as well as tells you about the product.

Personally, in my experience, k-lite will not solve your issue. However, it will cause no harm. I've used this site to install it for years on my windows xp systems.

VLC Player:
http://www.videolan.org/
VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework, that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols.

VLC is s stand alone application, not a codec. Not only do I use it, but I chose to recommend it due to the issue you have had with codecs in the past.

I apologize for not explaining myself better in my previous post.

addie1

addie1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Guys!!

First of all - I'm a she lol! ;) I am not missing a codec! It was malware trying to get me to buy product. Pain in the a** but I got rid of it.

So...what else could it be? When Brighthouse crashed my computer with a security system that was too big for the Ram on my computer (512) Dell sent me the discs to restore all my systems including the drivers. Powerdvd I installed, un-installed and then re-installed. Nothing.

It was after I restored all systems that I was next attacked by malware, which I was able to remove with Norton "power eraser".

Tried re-installing powerdvd again. Still nothing. Cyberlink Home comes up with all the options and tells me the movie is starting, then playing but nothing happens-just a black screen. So hopefully I've explained everything a little better. Please tell me any more questions you have so I can help and thank you so much! :D -Adriane

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Cyberlink Home comes up with all the options and tells me the movie is starting, then playing but nothing happens-just a black screen

Just a quick question and this may tell us something. You state you are getting nothing on screen but are you getting audio still? Can you hear the movie playing but no video? :D