Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to reduce bottlenecking without OC

• Please log in to reply

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
It is personally impossible for me to OC my cpu as i know nothing and have read many tutorials but to no avail. I am planning to buy a GTX 460 1 GB and a PSU, and buying a new CPU and Ram is too much on my budget. So, can someone please tell me how to reduce bottlenecking without OC'ing my CPU.

Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo e6750 2.66 ghz
2 GB DDR2 667 mhz
Max Res: 1440x900

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I would start by doubling your RAM. That will, without a doubt, give you the biggest performance boost for your money. And since 2 more Gb of RAM uses MUCH less power than that new graphics card, it is likely you can continue to use your existing PSU until your budget recoups and you can buy a new card and the hefty PSU required to support it.

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Im using 32-bit Win 7 and i dont want to go through all the trouble installing the 64-bit.

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
pls anyone??

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

pls anyone??

I already told you. Increase your RAM. No one said anything about moving to 64-bit.

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
yeah i know but 32-bit only supports up to 3 GB, 1 GB will be wasted

Oberon75

Oberon75

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
My system runs 3-4 times faster since I installed a second drive and re-installed EVERYTHING. The operating system is now on a dedicated drive, and everything else is on a second drive. If you're up for it, it should help.

Oberon75

Oberon75

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
My system runs 3-4 times faster since I installed a second drive and re-installed EVERYTHING. The operating system is now on a dedicated drive, and everything else is on a second drive. If you're up for it, it should help.

Oberon75

Oberon75

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sorry... got stuck loading...

Edited by Oberon75, 20 September 2010 - 12:32 AM.

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
umm, i think you're a off-topic, I'm talking about CPU bottlenecking GPU

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

yeah i know but 32-bit only supports up to 3 GB, 1 GB will be wasted

No, 32-bit only supports up 4Gb, but because of hardware addressing issues, the operating system can only address somewhere between 3 and 4, often as high as 3.6Gb. The rest is not wasted, just not available for applications. If your motherboard supported triple-channel memory, 3 would be fine because you could use 3 x 1Gb RAM. But since your motherboard supports dual-channel, you must use sticks in pairs to take advantage of the dual-channel architecture, so that means 4 sticks. You could always buy 2 x 512Mb to add 1Gb if you think the rest would be wasted but with the price of RAM being so reasonable, I would get 2 more.

And Oberon75 is NOT off topic at all! You have failed to specify anything about your symptoms except to say "bottlenecking" leaving us to guess at possible causes and solutions. There are potentially many bottlenecks in a computer and certainly the most common include RAM, as is disk space and disk performance - which is greatly influenced by the amount of free space and PF configuration. In fact, hard drives are often the cause of system slow downs and installing the OS on one drive and everything else on the second is a tried and true method of maximizing disk throughput used by many (including yours truly) for years.

And for the record, CPUs don't bottleneck GPUs. It takes very little CPU horsepower to hand off tasks to the graphics solution.

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Are there any benchmarks for Intel Core 2 Duo and a GTX 460? The only one I manage to find is the anandtech cpu benchmark, my E6750 with a GTX 280 is bottlenecked really bad about 20-30 fps compared to a I7 950.

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
reply me pls

Oberon75

Oberon75

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

And for the record, CPUs don't bottleneck GPUs. It takes very little CPU horsepower to hand off tasks to the graphics solution.

CPUs don't bottleneck GPUs, but an outdated motherboard might. If you're running a GPU that's PCI Express 2.0 x16 in a motherboard that was only made for PCI Express x16, it'll run, but the connection at the motherboard will constrict the speed of anything going to or from the graphics card. How old is the computer/motherboard?

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
3 years i think. Its a ASUS P5K-SE. But I already searched the net the difference is only like 1-2%. It'll only bottleneck if I'm using a ATI 5970

Edited by LordOblivion, 21 September 2010 - 11:58 PM.