Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus in ancient Outlook.dbx

• Please log in to reply

Wakka Wakka Ding

Wakka Wakka Ding

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all

Thanks ahead of time for your time.

My browser takes 25 seconds to open a page, hangs at every click, the CPU goes up to 100%, etc. I've done every virus check known to man and it never came up with a thing. I reinstalled IE. This same stuff happens on Firefox, also. I chalk a lot of it up to the fact I have an old, crappy computer. I'm pathological about keeping things off it. I use AVG which I'm thinking sucks at this point.

I ran a virus scan at ESET.com and it came up with a warning in my Outlook.dbx, and said it can't clean it. I haven't used Outlook in about 6 years. I don't even know where it is, I forgot all about it. I have a few hundred emails stored there, as far as I saw/knew none were infected. I scanned everything before I kept it. This never came up as a positive in all the kazillions of scans and Whatnots I have done.

My question is....could this be a false positive? Does this mean there's "an" email in that whole pile that has a virus? How do I get rid of this thing? Is it OK to go pull up Outlook and just delete all the mail or does that not help the issue?

Ok I guess that was more like 43 questions... ;)

I am thisclose to going and getting a new computer (I want my XP tho, [bleep]) so I'm really paranoid now that I'll just slop a virus over to a new one if I copy things over.

Remember They said computers were going to make our lives easier? Hah. :D
Thank you much for your help

Advertisements