Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New hard drive

• Please log in to reply

bay400

bay400

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After installing my new hard drive with windows xp on it, it crashes every time before it loads! Can any tell me how to stop this!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Sounds like you may have installed XP onto the new hard drive using a different computer, then moved the hard drive into this computer?

If so, more often than not, this will NOT work.

During installation, Windows determines what hardware is available in the computer and then installs all of the necessary drivers and file needed to run that particular hardware setup. If you then attempt to move this hard drive into another computer -- with different hardware -- the wrong drivers and files are being loaded. "Crash!" :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi bay400 :D

After installing my new hard drive with windows xp on it, it crashes every time before it loads! Can any tell me how to stop this!

Are you saying that the HDD came with XP already installed on it?
The HDD you have installed will not have on it the systems drivers that you need for it to work, this includes MB, Optical drives and any possible add on cards you may have such as video, sound and network etc.
If the HDD did come with XP on it the license for the software is tied to the previous machine/owner and is not transferable, you will need to have your own licensed version of the XP that is on the HDD or an upgraded version, so if it has XP Home Edition on it you can use a copy of Home Edition or XP Pro but not the other way around.
Before installing a new HDD I would recommend a full format of the drive and this is especially important if the drive has had a previous user, you don`t want their data and you certainly don`t want to risk the chance of your system becoming infected.

bay400

bay400

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks guys, I didn't buy a hard drive with xp, I just replaced it with a different one my uncle had from his old company, because it had a virus that wouldn't go off even when I reformatted it. Then it started crashing so I tried to reinstall xp but I had a DVD+RW which my cd drive can't support, so I'm screwed. (it was a very slow computer anyway) so I'll just get a laptop.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Ok thanks for letting us know, I am sorry your plans did not work out.
Good luck with the laptop and if we can help you with anything further
we will be happy to assist.
Thank you for choosing GTG and for allowing me to assist :D