Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I am haveing floppy drive problem on a Compaq Presario 5000R running under XP with sp 3.

Sometimes I can bring up what is on a floppy disk, but most of the time I can not, I get error messages such as "no ID address mark was found of the floppy disk," "floppy disk not formated or formated for Apple," etc. I have put in another floppy drive but did not correct problem, device manager says the floppy drive is functioning okay (drive is version 5.1.2600.0 from MS), tried changing bios with respect what item boots up first, but nothing helped. Any ideas? I have never had such a problem with floppy drives before.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Sounds like the floppy drive is wearing out (out of alignment).

New ones start at $7.99 (USD) at Newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.co...e=Floppy Drives

--

BTW - PC World says farewell to floppy
The time has come to bid farewell to one of the PC's more stalwart friends - the floppy disk.
Tuesday, 30 January 2007, 16:45 GMT
http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/6314251.stm

Edited by SpywareDr, 20 September 2010 - 03:39 AM.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
No, that is not the problem as I have tried too other known good floppy drives and experience the same problem - one of them brand new.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Strange.

Are the settings for the floppy drive correct in the BIOS?

If so, sounds like it could be a bad ribbon cable, (dirty/broken connectors?), flaky power, or possibly a motherboard problem.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yes.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
"sounds like it could be a bad ribbon cable, (dirty/broken connectors?), flaky power, or possibly a motherboard problem." :D